Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I split one hive a few weeks ago, and it has a few emergency cells that are close to hatching. I did a removal last weekend, and I'm not entirely sure I got the queen. Anything wrong with giving one of the queen cells to the removal hive to ensure that it has a queen?

Can I simply cut it off the comb and press it onto the comb in the other hive?

TIA

·
Registered
44 Posts
I split one hive a few weeks ago, and it has a few emergency cells that are close to hatching. I did a removal last weekend, and I'm not entirely sure I got the queen. Anything wrong with giving one of the queen cells to the removal hive to ensure that it has a queen?

Can I simply cut it off the comb and press it onto the comb in the other hive?

TIA
I do it all the time, after cutting the cell loose from the donating hive I depress the wax just below the top bar in the new hive and hold the cell there while I gently move the next frame against it. the two frames hold the cell in place. Just be very gentle when moving the second frame into place.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,161 Posts
>Anything wrong with giving a queen cell from one hive to another?

Nothing.

>Can I simply cut it off the comb and press it onto the comb in the other hive?

If it's on wax and there are no wires running through it...

Otherwise, if there are cells on more than one frame, I usually just take one of the frames with cells rather than cut out cells...

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
If you have the time and want interesting reading, go to mdasplitter.com for a study on producing queens by taking frames with cells to make splits or to requeen.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
When you cut out the QC, be careful to not crush the cell. It's best to hold it by the surrounding comb only. Don't tilt it, shake it or jar it, etc.

·
Registered
887 Posts
When you cut out the QC, be careful to not crush the cell. It's best to hold it by the surrounding comb only. Don't tilt it, shake it or jar it, etc.
This is what I thought also....but fatbeeman says he had a whole bowl full of cells fall of the seat and hit the floor of his car and they were ok....so sometimes I think you can get by with handling them some.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts