Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Langstroth hives. As many as I can.
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put out my two empty hives waiting for a month for my nucs. Just playing around I put a swarm lure envelop from Mann Lake in there with ten empty max wax frames. Today I happened to see two honey bees checking out the hive with lure. Maybe swarm scouts?!? Can I do anything to increase my minimal chances of them setting up home? Maybe a stack of cash or something?

·
Registered
811 Posts
You could cross your fingers.... :p

I have put out swarm traps for years and caught only one that way, and that's with drawn comb. I have caught many swarms on trees and fences though. I think it's more luck than anything else.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
You need to post a sign inside the hive like the one IAmTheWaterbug has inside his swarm trap.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,157 Posts
Haha

If that were in CA you could charge the bees insane amounts and there would still be a waiting list.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
6,882 Posts
Waterbug lives in Palos Verdes , CA. The bees do pay an exorbitant amount of rent in the form of honey.

Reactions: Tumbleweed

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,157 Posts
Typical bait and switch. You get free rent but most of what you make will be taken lol

·
Registered
Langstroth hives. As many as I can.
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh well. Kinda what I figured but was hoping.
Seems that you need to have had bees to attract bees. Drawn comb. Every newbies wish!
I will just rely on my good ol luck. They’ll be back. It’s a great place

·
Registered
Russian Bees
47 Posts
Interesting. I have an unused NUC box. I may bait it to see if I have any luck. In the past, I have had swarms passing thru my property with nowhere to go. I might get lucky.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
6,882 Posts
Adrock, while drawn comb is best, I caught my first swarm using just a piece of wax foundation in a brand new frame. Brand new trap too, I think the bees were desperate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.