Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm a hobbyist just starting out. I put in a couple of hives a couple years ago and want to add a few more this spring.

Is there any supplier that has better prices on hives and frames than most?

I've used Brushy Mountain in the past with good results.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
the best is one you can drive to and avoid the shipping cost now days, if you pays $1.00 more a deep at a place you drive to you will save vs paying price plus shipping. there is one in florida, maybe more since the high number of pollinators that winter there.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Walter Kelly is offering free shipping on orders placed on 3 specific days- check their web for dates. The past few years Brushy Mountain has offered free shipping in December. Both suppliers have superior products and they're especially attractive with 0 shipping cost.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
DADANT in High Springs, Florida. Its only about an hour north of you, one exit north of Gainsville. Its three hours for me but still cheaper than shipping. Other than that Brushy offers free shipping in December.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
A lot also depends on the selection of the items. I "shop around" with all my catalogs and find some items cheaper in some catalogs, while other items to be more expensive. So for me, it depends on what I'm ordering. I usually write up a draft of my orders for each supplier to compare. Oddly, when I order a selection of several different items, the total price between different suppliers all come out very close in the end.

With all that said, it also depends on quantity and the shipping cost. Driving and picking up is sometimes cheaper for me. I'm five hours from the Kelley and five hours from Dadant. But I don't always have the time. In larger quantities, shipping by truck freight is a better deal and I don't kill a whole day driving.

On the other hand, sometimes a day all by myself on the road is pretty good therapy for me.

Kelley has started a dealership in St. Louis (two hours away) at www.isabees.com You might ask if your supplier has local dealers.

Also, if you attend any of the meetings where the suppliers will be vending, almost all of them will bring your order to the meeting and not charge you anything for shipping.

Secondly, as spring approaches I try and encourage our club members to pool orders for cheaper pricing on volume discounts. There always seems to be one person willing to drive to pick up their orders. It doesn't cost them anything more to add yours to the back of their pickup truck. And they may enjoy the company if you have the time to ride along!

Grant
Jackson, MO

·
Registered
160 Posts
Agree with Grant. You need to shop around. This is the time of year to collect cataloges and start your wish list. I have used Brushy Mt mostly due to the fact that I have 8 frame hives and they seem to cater to that more. I also look at customer service. As for shipping, we get dinged with it pretty good up here in Washington as most mail order comes to the east side of teh country.

·
Registered
574 Posts
the best is one you can drive to and avoid the shipping cost now days, if you pays $1.00 more a deep at a place you drive to you will save vs paying price plus shipping.

It may still be just as expensive in gas and your time spent.

Here's how I figure out if the drive is worth it or not: First get the directions and total trip mileage from google maps or mapquest or another similar service. Then divide that by a rough estimate of your vehicle's mpg. Then multiply that by $4. Fill out your order online and calculate shipping charges and see which one is cheaper. If driving is cheaper, figure by how much and determine if your time to drive that distance is worth what you'll save.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It may still be just as expensive in gas and your time spent.

Here's how I figure out if the drive is worth it or not: First get the directions and total trip mileage from google maps or mapquest or another similar service. Then divide that by a rough estimate of your vehicle's mpg. Then multiply that by $4. Fill out your order online and calculate shipping charges and see which one is cheaper. If driving is cheaper, figure by how much and determine if your time to drive that distance is worth what you'll save.
B M. Free shipping for Dec. Code name PCCM , Mention when you call them on orders over 100.00. Don't take much to spend that much. LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts