Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, when restructuring my stand in a couple of weeks I'm looking at all options. This would be a little more expensive than treated lumber stretched across blocks, but it sure would last a good while. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would not try it. I built a deck using TREX and even 1" thick planks will bend and are much more flexible than normal pressure treated lumber of similar dimension. They become more so when heated in the sun in the summer. Go to Lowes and pickup and end of one and you will see what I mean. They are durable though.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
yes, we use this for our hive stands. it's a standard design with 2 parallel boards on edge, with 2 cross pieces (also on edge).

i glue with gorilla glue, and screw with stainless steel screws. i figure they should last 20 years.

a couple of hints:
1. make sure you have a level surface to work on, as the rounded edges make lining things up tricky. I build some jigs to help with this, and i can drill each piece separately.

2. Assemble everything with the screws before you glue. The screws will tear out some plastic that you will want to remove, otherwise it will interfere with the tight fitting of the parts.

deknow

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
deknow, do you have some pictures you can send me or post?

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Don't use Trex. I used some on my stand for my two gargantuan hives and they have sagged together and are now touching each other, which becomes a problem when adding supers.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I looked into it but have yet to decide one way or the other. I like the durability and rot resistance but I think the cost and other negatives already listed are keeping me from going in that direction. I'm looking forward to seeing what others have done and how they like it (or not).

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Just use landscaping timbers. I make 8 foot runs using 2 timbers with a 8" cinder block at both ends and 1 in the middle. Ain't no sagging with those timbers and cinderblocks. Bee sure to turn the blocks holes side up (and down). That's the strength of the block.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I recently re-built both my screened bottom boards to allow for SHB traps to slide in using AZEK (PVC). Gives me a little piece of mind knowing they won't rot, the bees could not care less and it's easy to work with. That being said, the boards the hives sit on are still wood. Once it rots, I'll likely replace with synthetic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts