Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
Kenyan style Top Bar Hive, 1 colony
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to get an OAV this year, and it's a fairly long walk to the bee yard, so the idea of using the battery pack from my cordless Dewalt drill, and not messing with 12-volt batteries, sounds very good to me. I know about the InstantVap 18V, which is $495, a bit out of my price range. Then I found the BP 200 Reaper by honeybcare, at $195. So far I haven't found any reviews or chatter about it. So I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with it. They say it's new, so maybe it's too soon. I do want an OAV with a nozzle rather than a pan, as I have top bar hives. Thanks!

· Registered
16ish hives
79 Posts
Looked reasonably closely at the site and without really digging with whois, tough to say.
https://oxalicvapor.com/ is another site they own, I got a warning from my AV about the site cert but went in anyway.
They say it is made in the USA ?. YT is not informative. Give it a whirl.

s

· Registered
323 Posts
I took a look at the site and have a few thoughts.

First: per their site, they designed the vaporizer to work with the 3 most popular battery packs. DeWalt, Milwaukee and..... CRAFTSMAN?? what? I have to question this decision and declaration. Even the softest inexperienced home improvement weekend warrior would be able to name 2-3 brands of batteries that are more prominent. Makita, Ridgid, Ryobi, Metabo. Etc. It might be possible that the Craftsman style battery attachment is identical to another manufacturer (let's say Ryobi for example). In which case, why not advertise it has Ryobi compatible? Choosing Craftsman batteries as one of the three supported battery types tells me the makers of this thing are either extremely out of touch with the American power tools market and/or foreign. Which leads me to my next thought.

The whole write up seems a bit.. off to me. There are a lot of weird word choices and grammatically it doesn't come off as written by a fluent English speaker. It lands somewhere between freshman book report and Chinese product instructions. It's not a fluid, easy reading write up.

Could be wrong here but my inclination is that this is a foreign made product sold by the manufacturer disguised as being USA made. No USA manufacturer in their right mind would consider Craftsman to be the 3rd most popular battery or power tool maker. If I am wrong and they indeed are USA based, they need to immediately fire their market research guy.

This doesn't mean it won't work. Could it be viable and a cheap alternative to the instavap? Possibly, regardless of where it was made. There is no mention of a safety shut off that prevents batteries from being overly drained. The instavap has one in place that prevents damage to your battery from continuing to drain past the safe point. At $200 you aren't out much should it not work right. I say give it a go and report back to us on it's effectiveness!

· Administrator
Mutts and Carniolans in Langs.
1,044 Posts
First: per their site, they designed the vaporizer to work with the 3 most popular battery packs.
Not in the market for a vaporizer, nor have I used adapters... But they exist, most modern flat top tool battery packs can be used with other brands of tools via adapters. Ryobi and the other one with a 'stem' sticking out the top have far fewer options. Something to consider before ruling something out because of the battery.

· Registered
nucs/Lang/long
1,289 Posts
I'm going to get an OAV this year, and it's a fairly long walk to the bee yard, so the idea of using the battery pack from my cordless Dewalt drill, and not messing with 12-volt batteries, sounds very good to me. I know about the InstantVap 18V, which is $495, a bit out of my price range. Then I found the BP 200 Reaper by honeybcare, at $195. So far I haven't found any reviews or chatter about it. So I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with it. They say it's new, so maybe it's too soon. I do want an OAV with a nozzle rather than a pan, as I have top bar hives. Thanks!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Beekeeping/comments/11h4xgs hard no according to this.
Someone here had a post in 2020 but they never came back to say if they used it

· Registered
nucs/Lang/long
1,289 Posts

· Registered
nucs/Lang/long
1,289 Posts
I am assuming you mean Joerg's units?
The one that the OP is talking about.
Honestly I was looking around because of this thread and on Ebay, and amazon, they have good ratings. Not sure why there is not more info. He did put 2 videos on it.
But you know all the other brands started out this way too.
Shoot, if the others were not $500+ (shipping and stuff included) I would have bought those already.

· Registered
9,235 Posts
The one that the OP is talking about.
Honestly I was looking around because of this thread and on Ebay, and amazon, they have good ratings. Not sure why there is not more info. He did put 2 videos on it.
But you know all the other brands started out this way too.
Shoot, if the others were not $500+ (shipping and stuff included) I would have bought those already.
Not sure now who said what. The only ones I have knowledge of are Joerg's and johno's; they are tried and proven and they stand behind their products.

· Registered
51 Posts
An old post on here said the problem with them is the elbow clogs. Too high from the heating element and that bend becomes loaded with crystal. Someone said you had to keep a propane torch with you to sublime what clogged there, cleans fast that way.

· Registered
40 Posts
I've used the $175 from Mann Lake with the 12-volt marine battery with no issues. I understand you don't want to walk a long distance with a large battery. Neither would I. But I suggest you work with proven equipment rather that being the tester on expensive new ideas.
I run mine to the bee yard in a trailer behind the lawn tractor, OR in the back of my pickup truck. The same way I get all that honey back to the house. You must have a plan to move the honey, right? So, use the same system to move a battery and save a few hundred.

· Registered
nucs/Lang/long
1,289 Posts
An old post on here said the problem with them is the elbow clogs. Too high from the heating element and that bend becomes loaded with crystal. Someone said you had to keep a propane torch with you to sublime what clogged there, cleans fast that way.
On the 200 is that a screw in pipe?
Wonder if it could be changed to a straight one. And is it brass?

· Registered
nucs/Lang/long
1,289 Posts
But I suggest you work with proven equipment rather that being the tester on expensive new ideas.
Devil's advocate....
I must say, wasn't Johno and the other guy NEW at one point too? Were theirs perfect when first made?
What if no one bought theirs, then they would be the unproven ones too .
Gotta start somewhere no ?

· Registered
9,235 Posts
Devil's advocate....
I must say, wasn't Johno and the other guy NEW at one point too? Were theirs perfect when first made?
What if no one bought theirs, then they would be the unproven ones too .
Gotta start somewhere no ?
Crash test dummies unite!:LOL: When Johno started his prototypes there was not much else equivalent on the scene. Experimenting with the variables was a necessity. Reinventing the wheel is not all that noble; especially so when specimens that wobble badly, are put up for sale to the unsuspecting:(

· Registered
Kenyan style Top Bar Hive, 1 colony
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've used the $175 from Mann Lake with the 12-volt marine battery with no issues. I understand you don't want to walk a long distance with a large battery. Neither would I. But I suggest you work with proven equipment rather that being the tester on expensive new ideas.
I run mine to the bee yard in a trailer behind the lawn tractor, OR in the back of my pickup truck. The same way I get all that honey back to the house. You must have a plan to move the honey, right? So, use the same system to move a battery and save a few hundred.
I am becoming convinced to go with proven stuff, and avoid the BP200. The long walk was a minor factor -- this was more about not having to buy a battery + charger when I already own the cordless drill battery (pair of them). Anyway, I appreciate the feedback.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts