Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watched a swarm emerge from a hive today, and migrate to a fence post about 25 yards away. A half hour later it returned to the hive. That hive is just jam packed with bees - I let it get away from me, I'll admit.

Anyone seen this before and what might be happening? There's at least one new virgin queen in the hive, as I found one empty queen cell, and a number of other beautiful ripe cells. Could the old queen not have made it out?

I destroyed all but a few of the queen cells and put those few with one full box of bees above a split screen, for what that may be worth at this late time.

I'm inclined to just see what happens in a week or two. Hopefully I'll have a spare queen just in case she's needed. I hope I've headed off afterswarms; expecting the main swarm to go back out tomorrow (unless their return indicates some problem with the old queen.)

This hive is just gangbusters. I couldn't even keep up with them, even though the stack is six mediums tall. The queen - maybe too productive.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's hard when you don't have enough equipment to keep adding boxes! Or anymore bottom boards and covers to make splits (or space for more hives, for that matter!) I do feel I'm wasting a valuable resource! I'd be happy with moderately productive colonies, that don't explode in population so rapidly. I'm not that interested in maximizing honey production. (smile)

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
Yup I had a massive 5 or 6 lb swarm this afternoon and then return to the hive so I went into the hive and destroyed all the queen cells then walked around to the front of the hive looking for a bunch of bees on the ground, found some moved them around until I saw that red mark, picked up the clipped queen and let her back into the hive.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
The swarm was probably a practice run. They will probably go again tomorrow. Keep an eye out. If it's swarm mode and a queen cell is open, it may have already swarmed a week ago or so with the laying queen. You may have seen an after swarm practice run. Strong hives in swarm mode can cast several after swarms.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
The swarm was probably a practice run. They will probably go again tomorrow. Keep an eye out. If it's swarm mode and a queen cell is open, it may have already swarmed a week ago or so with the laying queen. You may have seen an after swarm practice run. Strong hives in swarm mode can cast several after swarms.
Agreed, it will be on the move the next day. If you can't keep up with them, maybe break them down, don't just let them produce swarm after swarm. It is not good PR:eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts