Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
was anyone able to find the stingless bees in Texas? i know this is an old thread and i was wondering if anyone has found these type of bees.
I am in the Houston TX area, and i am also interested in these bees.
thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Have not seen or heard of people keeping these Stingless bees in southern USA. Theoretically they can survive and range into very South USA regions. Certain species are officially reported as far North as mid Baja and well north of Mexico City. That would put them in the same latitude as Brownsville and other south Texas locations. Being that they cannot be legally imported I wouldn’ Imagine anyone that has a hive to admit on the internet that they have them in their possession for fear that it would be confiscated etc. I might take a trek out into the woods to find a colony if they do indeed exist. I did personally see colonies thriving in Brownsville back in the 60’s so I know they can survive. These are very interesting little bees to keep but I doubt that you’d get much honey out of them. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was interested to know if anyone ever tried this north of the border? Back in the early 70's my uncle in Texas was a professional beekeeper. He took me to see an elderly Mexican gentleman near Brownsville that had a couple hives of stingless bees. Apparently he brought them with him from Mexico back in the 60's. As I recalled the hives seem to be thriving. I don't think they'd do well up north but perhaps in southern Texas or Florida. Just curious.
why as a matter of fact yes I do have single bees I live in Augusta Georgia I ordered a package from the Philippines and five my luck there was a small colony of bees in my crate that hitched a ride Ara stingless bee variety the size of ants to prevent them from being an invasive species in the area I keep them in a greenhouse where I grow tropical fruits they really like my Cocoa Tree and are you even small enough to pollinated they also do well with my osmanthus trees. I wish they were more common in the US because I almost don't even need smoke for them and although sometimes they might bite me it's nowhere near as bad as being stung by larger species

·
Registered
1 Posts
why as a matter of fact yes I do have single bees I live in Augusta Georgia I ordered a package from the Philippines and five my luck there was a small colony of bees in my crate that hitched a ride Ara stingless bee variety the size of ants to prevent them from being an invasive species in the area I keep them in a greenhouse where I grow tropical fruits they really like my Cocoa Tree and are you even small enough to pollinated they also do well with my osmanthus trees. I wish they were more common in the US because I almost don't even need smoke for them and although sometimes they might bite me it's nowhere near as bad as being stung by larger species
That is awesome!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts