Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Haven't had a lot of luck! First year mites killed my hives. Second year they starved in winter. 3rd year over wintered well into 4th year and bears wiped me out. Now, I got a nuc and 20 days later it swarmed! Not ready to give up yet, but could use a little help!

I live in Jay Maine and my only hive this year swarmed yesterday. I only have a 16' ladder and they are about 20 to 25' up in a tree.

They were lower and I caught them, put them in a nuc with some drawn frames but they left. I guess I didn't get the queen. Now they are out of my reach. I'd like to do this right and maybe have a second hive!

Bob in Jay.....

Update: Obviously, I don't know what I'm doing because I cut the branch down they were in, it landed in front of my nuc box with a frame of brood and 3 frames of drawn comb and they keep just going right back up in the **** tree!

·
Registered
776 Posts
If you can't reach them maybe you can throw a rope over the branch somehow and shake them lose. They may stay in a some what ball so have that sheet available with your nuc and a frame of brood. Some times you may have to tie a weight to the end or it'll get caught in the tree. Also shake the branch a lot harder than you think you'll need to and fast from the start. They object is to get the queen down to where you can get her.

If nothing else maybe you'll run them off to a different area were you can reach them.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had then down on a white sheet in front of the nuc box with a frame of brood 3 times and they keep going back up to the tree... Just my luck!

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Water cannon? Nothing to loose. How have you gotten them down three times? Shake?

Put one or more of your old hives as high as you can safely, they will probably settle somewhere tomorrow with the sunny day.

·
Registered
602 Posts
A couple of times when I had a swarm out of reach I tied a drawn frame to a long pole and propped it into the swarm (or very near it). You could tie the pole to your 16' ladder or whatever is handy. When the frame was loaded with bees I lowered it down and untied the frame and put it in a hive box and laid it up again and again with drawn comb till nearly all were in the hive box.

Just a thought. It did work for me several times.

Tanya

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Had I not recently moved from West Paris (not far from you) I would have been happy to help. You might try getting in touch with Carol Cottrill of the Western Maine Beekeepers Association. She may know someone who can help, though you are running out of time. [email protected].

If nothing else, the WMBA is a good group to join.

Wayne

·
Registered
776 Posts
At this point if you haven't already I'd place your nuc box as close as you can and keep your fingers crossed that they find it and settle in. I wouldn't keep any brood in there of course but wait for them to move in and then help them out with one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts