Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife went to an antique place today and came home with something they had displayed with a lot of bee items. They claimed it was a bee "transporter" but I have no idea what that is or how it would work. I first thought it was part of a bee lining box but it has no slots or dadoes where a sliding lid would have gone.

Seems that there are obviously some bits missing but at the same time, I can't seem to find any holes where the missing bits would have been attached. The small protrusion from one edge seems to be completely on purpose, as does the bevel in what I would call the bottom. Those two little angled pieces attached to the bottom also clearly served a purpose.

She didn't pay much for it, so no big deal. But is this a beekeeping item and if so, does anyone really know what?

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

·
Registered
128 Posts
If the round hole fits a quart jar lid, I'd agree it's likely a feeder. It is a bit tall though, isn't it?
I agree also, it's a homemade hillbilly 'boardman' feeder.

If all you have is some scrap wood, reclaimed nails, hammer, handsaw, and a pocket knife you can do a lot things sitting by the fire during the winter.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. Feeder it is...but man the thing is gigantic for a feeder. That circular hole is 4" diameter and the box itself is 2" deep. I guess the hole probably fit the whole jar down into the box, and those little bits on the bottom kept the jar off the bottom of the box. That makes sense. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Ok. Feeder it is...but man the thing is gigantic for a feeder. That circular hole is 4" diameter and the box itself is 2" deep. I guess the hole probably fit the whole jar down into the box, and those little bits on the bottom kept the jar off the bottom of the box. That makes sense. Thanks everyone!
That's what I was picturing in my mind

1 - 7 of 7 Posts