Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I have it planted in my yard, and it was slightly blooming last week when we had temps in the 60's. Didn't see any of my bees on it then, but this is the bees' first year in my yard. My single hive had to be shown my Mahonia that was blooming in November. I literally had to capture a few bees in a jar and release them on the bush. Then they were all over it for the nectar and pollen. (so you definitely want one of them if you don't have it). I imagine I will have to introduce them to the honeysuckle and helleborus in the same way. The girls just haven't found all the good stuff that is right around the corner of the house. They are busy flying way overhead to the tall trees.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have it planted in my yard, and it was slightly blooming last week when we had temps in the 60's. Didn't see any of my bees on it then, but this is the bees' first year in my yard. My single hive had to be shown my Mahonia that was blooming in November. I literally had to capture a few bees in a jar and release them on the bush. Then they were all over it for the nectar and pollen. (so you definitely want one of them if you don't have it). I imagine I will have to introduce them to the honeysuckle and helleborus in the same way. The girls just haven't found all the good stuff that is right around the corner of the house. They are busy flying way overhead to the tall trees.
I have some up in Tennessee, it bloomed in January last year but this year it got blasted by the two cold spells and it didn't do anything yet.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Oh they'll find what they want and need all by themselves, don't you worry. The good stuff for them is just what they're going after and bringing back.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have one really old Winter Honeysuckle bush and if the weather is decent, it starts blooming around Christmas. I took this picture on December 23 last year. The blooms were all killed off by the cold weather since then, but it looks like it is about to start back. I am rooting a bunch of pieces to try to grow more, they really seem to like it. I dont know if it will be enough to make a real difference for the bees, but i like watching them work it. And the blooms smell great. 2013-12-22 11.56.342.jpg

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
They bloom the best on last year's growth, so I prune mine very hard each year, otherwise it tends to look very scraggly. I do know they send out suckers from the base, so you should be able to increase the number you have. I agree, they smell heavenly at a very cold time of year when not much else is blooming.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts