Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some folks on another forum I am on, asked me if I had heard of it. They posted a link to a blog someone had, that was saying they had heard of some beekeepers getting purple honey, but usually it was only a small amount, and they didn't know where/what type of plant it came from.....

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
I have seen kudzu honey that could be described as purple.

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
There was a beekeeper up in Balto. He kept wondering why his honey was so dark. Turns out the bees were flying across the harbor and getting their "honey" from a Molasses tank!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I thought some Buckwheat honey had a purplish tint. Don't see it much so can't really say.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
we used to have a yard by a vineyard. after harvest the bees picked up juice from the broken grapes. have seen up to 10lbs in a super.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks... I have heard of some of the same things, kudzu, blueberries, grapes and the candy factory in France.... I wondered if bees like wisteria and if it might be purple? I would think there is so much kudzu though there would be lots of purple honey if it was from that? Just thinking out loud here....wonder if I scattered blueberries and grapes around the edges of the garden would the bees get it? or would I just draw a bunch of yellow jackets?

·
Registered
30 Posts
In 2007, one of our Guilford County Beekeeper members harvested a few frames of it. The family and bees actually were located near the Fort Bragg area. Our local forum board has a posting about it, including several pictures of honey, and an e mail from Don Hopkins, chief NC apiary inspector, discussing the various theories behind it. My recollection was that it was a very sweet, light bodied honey. I don't recall any distinct flavor like fruity, etc. That may just be my faulty taste buds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I pulled several gallons of purple honey from one of my hives this year. We are located in Hoke County, NC near Ft. Bragg.

I contacted Professor David Tarpy from the Department of Entomology, North Carolina State University and while he didn't seem to interested in me sending in a sample for analysis he did point me towards the research his predecessor, Dr. John Ambrose did on the subject back in the 70's.

Here is a link where you can read a little about his studies
http://www.ourstate.com/blue-honey/

And if you want the try the honey out yourself, here you go:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171520746384...84.m1555.l2649

1 - 16 of 16 Posts