Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
? Had a few ipm board getting shuffled out, figured skunk, or possum, set a live trap and ended with a young grey fox.

Just wondering if anyone has had an issue with foxes being a problem?

My German Shepherd really wants to "play" with it, acted like the fox was the mailman when she took off to the hives:D Being a former sideline pest trapper, I have trapped my share and I'd prefer to set pup free, other wise they have been no trouble here.

Thanks

·
Registered
715 Posts
Never heard of a fox bothering hives. Skunks are the main problem.

I'd set the fox free.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I have a lot in my area and never had a problem with them, but only at it for 3 yrs. I doubt the fox is guilty. If he is, probably won't be a repeat offender. J

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have a lot in my area and never had a problem with them, but only at it for 3 yrs. I doubt the fox is guilty. If he is, probably won't be a repeat offender. J
Good point. :)

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
We have red foxes in the woods on my property. Never had a problem with them. My hives are 20" off the ground so I have not had a problem with skunks or possums either.

·
Registered
133 Posts
We've had foxes on our land longer than I've had bees, but I've never had a problem with them.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I turned it loose, don't mind if they clean up the dead bees.

We have had them come in the back yard, had one during the drought that would wait for my wife to throw hotdogs to it. Bella our shepherd was a bit depressed tho lol. I think the little fox would have be more formidable than the deer that get in the yard all the time

Still on the hunt for criminal tho. Looked at the bite marks on the ipm boards and I am almost 100% sure its a striped kitty.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, they are good for mice, also chickens, quail (which are almost gone here anyway), they are also on the coyotes radar here, not to mention all the farm dogs. Tough life being a fox in Texas!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Constant winter problem for me. The fox's pull the bottom boards out trying to get inside. If it's cold enough, teens or below and the hive is low on bees, if can kill it off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts