Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
They'd have to drag that contraption quite a distance to get to new forage, I'd think. Maybe not so far to a "safer winter location". Regardless, it seems ridiculous, and I can't imagine it ends well. I'm guessing they "roll their own", if you get my drift. You can get by doing a lot of strange stuff with your parent's trust fund.

·
Registered
638 Posts
What was the purpose of that shelter? Cuz if they're trying to keep rain out.......that design is worthless. Looks like a lot of work for .......well, little in return. They shoulda worked the bees some before they went building shelter. Before I got my hives I built some stuff that is now useless. I've learned.

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts
I don't get it either. What is the purpose of that structure?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Well, hot wire for bear resistance, and the roof for snow shelter. Stevensville MT is a cold, snowy, bear-dense place. More work than I would be interested in , though.

edit.. Elevated to keep above snow and to keep out skunks too.

·
Registered
583 Posts
yup a lot of work to build one just waiting for them to get assimilated by the bee bug like me in a few days ill have 22 hives lol that's a lot of huts

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts
Interesting. I hope they post some video when they hook onto that thing and skid it across the mountains with hives on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
They need to put chicken wire around it and use that skid shed for a mobile chicken house. But it is way over built (heavy) for any practicle use that comes to mind. Or maybe they could pull it up on a hill and use it as a portable stage for pasture parties.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Nice idea, but, what are they going to skid it with, their truck? Will they put the hive(s) in the truck or leave them on the platform? Nice shed. Saw one like that on a peice of currency from 1780 something issued by the Continental Congress only it used posts and not skids.

·
Super Moderator
11,059 Posts
Interesting 'comments' by viewers towards the bottom of the Bee Hut page. I like this set regarding the electric fencing around the Bee Hut:

I am wondering what effect the electric fencing will have on the bees.
I'm quite sure you're not alone. [HIGHLIGHT]I built several hives without any fasteners for biodynamic beekeepers who wanted to avoid any metal in their hives.[/HIGHLIGHT] it's quite possible that bees are able to detect magnetic fields and use them for navigation and/or other purposes. if metal in the hives is, indeed, enough to disrupt that sense, then what might an electric fence do? hard to say for sure, but I doubt it does them any favors.

on the other hand, getting knocked over by a bear or being eaten one-by-one by a badger isn't likely to end well, either.

http://www.permies.com/t/37135/labs/ultimate-skiddable-bee-hut
:rolleyes: :scratch:

Building hives without ANY screws, ANY staples or ANY nails. No metal. :lookout: Certainly frame rests would be verboten as well. Disrupts bees biodynamics! :eek:

We don't have a "no-screws" icon, so I am forced to use this as a substitute ....

:ws:

:D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think they are going to move it with their electrical tractor. Or I think Paul's brother has a massive truck, that could pull it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also I guess the main function is to keep out critters? But it seems like a big ordeal for just that? I am looking into it a little bit more.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Be sure to set your wires far enough out away from your hive so that a bear can't reach it. Otherwise they will.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Personally whenever I want to move a hive I strap the daylights out of it and get my hubby to fire up the diesel tractor and away we go:

Butter-in-Motion-120k.jpg

Now permies might object to the diesel part, but unless they've got a team or two of draft horses they're gonna need some diesel, too, to move that barge even on hard packed snow.

After a blistering day today I am thinking (again!) of some kind of sun/rain shelter structure above my hives. But last summer I had them in a lovely shaded area and had hive moths and SHB galore. This summer (after the move pictured above last December) they are in clear full sun - with almost no moths and SHB. I'll take that, I think.

Enj.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
So I guess the main function is to keep snow off and provide some shade in summer.
I don't know about that. Seems like shade will be only a very short time of the day, unless they skid it around to keep it in the shade all the time. And the location look like one that might get feet of snow, not inches, so the snow is going to pile up around it and on it anyway. Being covered in snow is not a bad thing. Mostly it looks to me like it will be inconvenient to work the hive(s). Especially once they have all of the electric wires wrapped around it. How are they going to get to the hive? Take down all the wire first? Lots of questions.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Well, hot wire for bear resistance, and the roof for snow shelter. Stevensville MT is a cold, snowy, bear-dense place. More work than I would be interested in , though.

edit.. Elevated to keep above snow and to keep out skunks too.
Think they'll make any honey there? What? MT skunks can't climb?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts