Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winter boredom is high lately, so I started digging into more obscure info on queen rearing techniques. I know that double grafting has been discussed before, but I found this link and the resulting cells do seem better when using a double graft. Anyone have first-hand experience with double grafting?

Here's the link: http://www.beesource.com/resources/...ement-of-honey-bee-colonies-support-material/

See figure 17.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you could find that reference I'd like to read it.

The link above was written by Clayton Farrar, former Chief of the Apiculture Research Branch, Entomology Research Division, Agricultural Research Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture. Not suggesting that the results are definitive, but it would be nice to hear of more current attempts and how they compare.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I have not tried double grafting, but I have tried priming cells with royal jelly and I've tried not priming. I don't prime anymore. Jay Smith, who was quite obsessed with the quality of queens, and who primed for many years quit priming as well by the time he wrote "Better Queens". I've talked to people who used to do double grafting and a few who still do. The theory seems good. The reality is, that it is a lot more work and a lot of the people who used to do it have decided there is no percievable difference. I think if you think that the larvae needs more royal jelly, the "Better Queens" method will accomplish that with less work and no grafting.

www.bushfarms.com/beesbetterqueens.htm

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I think more useful is Randy Olivers suggestion of placing the frame you are going to graft from in the cell builder for a few hours before graft8ng....The larvae get an extra boost of feed and makes dry grafting with a Chinese tool even easier.

Deknow

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I like to wet graft and use the German style stainless tool my self. Grafting is the easiest aspect of queen rearing once perfected. The art and science is in the cell builders. Very large cells with a %95+ take rate is very obtainable as long as the cell builders are properly set up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts