Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealing with an over wintered single. First semi-invasive inspection. Temp was dropping and so was daylight so I had to act fast. Here is what I did and saw.

Of 10 frames, the 3 on the right had tons of capped honey. 4th in had half honey and cleaned open cells. # 5 had tons of bees on it. 6 7 and 8 also had bees on them. The # of bees per frame got a little less on each frame in order. I moved frame 5 into a a hive body and surrounded it by brand new frames with foundation (most natural wax and 3 the black plastic kind)

My only concern, unless it gets pointed out that my actions above were wrong, are that on frame 5 I noticed what I thought to be swarm cells hanging from bottom of the frame ( 2 cells) I removed them and there was nothing in them and they were sealed up tight.

The bees had about enough of me medling in their home at dusk and I put the second deep ontop and closed her up.

Any thoughts and or critisism on how I handled myself in the situation?

Todd

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Todd

Not sure from your explanation of events as to what you were attempting to do? Were you trying to split and divide the colony?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am only a 3rd year keeper, but sounds like you did ok, but its better to give yourself more time to do an inspection. You said the swarm cells were empty, where they capped? I might have put some of the natural wax foundation on each side of the brood nest, and move some of the honey frames directly above the brood nest however. I would plan on checking on them in a week.

Roger

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Riskybizz, I was just adding the second deep to prevent crowding and a swarm. Roger, yes I believe the swarm cells were capped. They were kinda small and not tube like as ive seen in pics. It looked like blobs of comb hanging from bottom of frame. I intend to go out on sunday to do a real inspection. I did what I did last nite because I was paniced about swarming and I wanted to add the second deep.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to mention that I mixed up some 1:1 last nite and will be putting it on via hive top feeder this eve.

Todd

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Did frame five go into a new hive (split) or back into the same hive, different box?
How much brood and capped ,eggs?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Frame 5 was put into new box same hive. This is where I bow my head in shame... I didnt look for brood or eggs. my intent was to add the second box because I was anxious about swarming. I plan on taking a much better look on sunday when weather is supposed to be more favorable and I have a much better time frame to do it.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
If I hung my head in shame when I should I would have my toe in my eye.
Probably gave them more space than they need, probably will have little impact at all. Concern would be chilling if it turns cold. Would worry more if you moved them down. Doubt the cells were this years or swarm cells.
Bees can stand to be inspected quickly into the 30s if needed, though I've never had the need or desire.

I would have moved a honey to the other side next to the first frame that had brood or eggs and called it good.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks saltybee, I wont stress over it then. I did have sugar ontop of frames up until last night (I removed it during the episode yest. Eve. I will definitely put that feeder on today and hope evening temps dont get too cold. Suposed to be above freezing all week here in the eves and well into 50's during day. Thanks for the help and now I know what to do in the future.

Todd

1 - 9 of 9 Posts