Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been wanting to try them on singles but all the directions I've seen are for doubles. Any experience? Any thoughts? Thanks Chip

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, darn. Looks like one of those rare times where no one else has anything to say. We just put a half of a pallet of them on to give them a try, so here is what I know so far.
The dosage is way too strong. We put two strips on strong doubles, in temps in the mid '60's and one strip on doubles with one box of bees, more or less. The queens shut down for five days at least. Some longer than that. We went out today to split some of them and found that most of them had a bunch of five day old larva (or younger) but next to no sealed brood. (it was ten days after treatment) That tells me the fa killed all of the open brood that was there when the maqs were put on. On top of that we lost around 20% of the queens. The good part is that once the queens started up again they were on a terror. Expanding the brood nest like I have not seen since the good old day. But it now looks like we are going to have to put off splitting for another week to get enough brood to get good splits.

So, would I use them on singles. Yes. IF the temp is right, and IF you cut down on the dose. If your mite counts are low I would try a few just using 1/2 of one strip per single. The max I would use would be one strip per very strong single. (these things have a lot of formic acid in them)

Good luck.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John. I was thinking that a half dose might be too strong. I think I'll dose a hundred or so with half a MAQS and use thymol on the rest. I'll check mites before and after and see how it shakes out. I have a good friend that uses MAQS but only in doubles. One of the nice things about keeping bees is that there's always lots to learn. Thanks for the insight. Chip

·
Registered
49 Posts
It looks like it will take a long time to learn the right dose of MAQS to use. I'm glad we did not treat the whole outfit the first time, but I kind of wish we had tested a smaller sample the first time out.
We did treat one load with Apigaurd, and so far we like what we are seeing.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Strong Single - 6 frames of bees - use 2 pads.
average Single 3-5 frames of bees - use 1 pad
>3 frames of bees - use i/2 pad.

Worked ok last year in 85F weather. FALL

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
The guys I know using it will give them an empty box or two of comb above the single brood, which is essential apperently. Also they tell me too hot and you will kill queen and any brood not capped, even capped in some cases....
Does not sound like a very appealing option to me.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have doubles with candy boards above them. The candy boards have an upper entrance. I was planning to put a super on top of the doubles and still put the candy board with upper entrance on top of that. They should have plenty of room to move around and an upper entrance to let a little of the excess fumes out. I had planned to put 2 strips between the double deeps, but maybe one strip would be enough?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts