Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I recently added a second deep to my 2 colonies that overwintered single deep boxs. I used these frames and they instantly started building them out and raising brood in them. So far I am pleased with these frames.
Robee

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Think of all the work you'll save by getting those top bars already prepared for foundationless! Instead of having to remove the wedge, turn it, and nail it in. And no, you don't have to coat it with wax.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I would not coat them in wax. I would just use them. The wax makes no difference as far as them following them and it makes the comb less well atttached to the frame as the bees do a better job of attaching wax to the wood. I have some, but haven't had the chance to use them yet. I'm sure they will work fine. They are similar to many that I have used before.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great thanks!! ill let you know how they work out. I really wished i would have started foundationless in the begining! It appeals to me so much more.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I did drizzle some wax on them with a spoon but wasn't picky as to how complete or a nice straight line or anything. Just some to attract them.
Robby

·
Registered
383 Posts
i wanted to try them but i decided to go with the wedge top bar. i am going to use a 2'' strip of small cell foundation as a guide.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Just some to attract them.

In my experience the wax will not attract them anymore than the wood. If they are looking for a place to drawn comb they will hang on the guide and build comb with or without the wax. They attach theirs so much better... with a mixture of wax and propolis worked deep into the wood as opposed to some wax kind of stuck to the surface...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts