Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some cut comb honey in plastic 4x4 boxes. They have turned to solid and I wanted to get them back to liquid. But I put one outside and it melted the comb with the honey. any tips how to get it back to liquid without melting the comb?

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Beeswax melts at 144°-147°F so my guess is the the closed container in the sun got at least that hot. So will frames left sitting on top of a hive, don't ask. Perhaps a little less heat like a dehydrator or similar. If I had that problem, I would place them in my incubator and set the heat for 104° and see what happens. Not sure if you can recover this back into a saleable product.

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
Straight up, you will not have much joy with this.

For next time, store your cut comb in sealed containers, in the deep freeze. NOT the fridge. The honey does not freeze, but all reactions are slowed down to where it can take years before most honeys will granulate.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
No idea if this will work, but try a box in your dishwasher next time you do the dishes with the no heat cycle. I do this with crystallized honey and it works, but not sure if it gets too hot for wax. Might want to put the box in a zip lock just in case the wax melts. J

·
Registered
54 Posts
I find this interesting. For as many years as I have been helping my uncle out with bees People constantly ask if he has any Comb honey. he tells them if they want some call him before he extracts and he will do some for them. He then gives them general dates and a business card. He says that he has produces comb honey because dozens of people wanted it and it sits in the store until it crystalizes. Then he sets it on fence posts for bees to rob out. Because there is no practical way to use it once it crystalizes. I like the freezer Idea. If one has the space.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,522 Posts
I find this interesting. For as many years as I have been helping my uncle out with bees People constantly ask if he has any Comb honey. he tells them if they want some call him before he extracts and he will do some for them. He then gives them general dates and a business card. He says that he has produces comb honey because dozens of people wanted it and it sits in the store until it crystalizes. Then he sets it on fence posts for bees to rob out. Because there is no practical way to use it once it crystalizes. I like the freezer Idea. If one has the space.
there is a practical way to use it. take it all out of the containers, crush, heat slightly and strain. heat until the honey melts but the wax doesn't. Per above less than 144 degrees, so use a thermometer and heat to 125 or so. then strain, and you now have liquid honey. it will need to be at 125 for a "while" as all the honey will need to melt. Or you could just eat it..... I believe you can still chew it "practically"
Tell your Uncle to have the people "PAY" for the comb honey when they place the order, get a number and call them when ready, I bet he has less left over. I only make comb for pre pay people. And I do not have any left.

GG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts