Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been lurking on beekeeping sites and had an interest, and yesterday a swarm showed up. I got a hive and captured the swarm, everything went easy-peasy just like on Youtube. Problem is, beekeeping is legal in my city but I can't meet the 200 foot standoff from dwellings. Does anyone have a suggestion of where/how to ask around to get permission to keep a hive on someone's larger land? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
You can just hide the hive from your neighbors. Put in on a back porch or something, camouflaged it with the rest of your belongings.

·
Registered
344 Posts
No experience trying to find land to put a hive on, but I do have a little experience with animals and laws. Where I live, it's technically illegal to have a rooster. However, loads of people do, and nobody ever cares. I did have a neighbor who called animal control on another neighbor because their horse was neighing at night. The horse had just arrived to their property and was probably scared and nervous on its first night. Thankfully that neighbor moved.

If I were you, I'd just keep the hive on your property as long as your neighbors are somewhat cool.

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
don't ask, don't tell

·
Registered
344 Posts
Oh, if you do decide to move the hive somewhere, make sure you have some legal thing maybe a note signed by the owner of the land or something depending on where you are and your local rules on that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts