Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Sloppy science or junk science, take your pick.

I tracked down the actual report in Current Science, and Indian science journal. Not sure how reputable this journal is.
http://www.ias.ac.in/currsci/25may2010/1376.pdf

They seem to have shown that having TWO cell phones, physically-present IN the hive, creating an EMR field within the broodnest, is disruptive.

Their conclusion:
"The present study therefore suggests that colony collapse does occur as a result of exposure to cellphone radiations. Reports of such a colony collapse in nature in developing countries like India where electromagnetic radiation (EMR) based technologies are comparatively new are absent."

So, India doesn't have CCD because it's a "developing" country, where EMR is "comparatively new"?! Hogwash. A few quick searches shows that India is 2nd in the world in number of cell phones. India has over 100 million MORE cell phones than the U.S. and is only about 1/3 the size, so it would seem that the control hives used in this study were exposed to a higher concentration of EMR than a typical colony in the U.S.

At best, they showed that cell phones inside a hive may cause problems. Their research did nothing to measure the effects of ambient EMR fields on colonies without cell phones inside. They didn't reference a single reference journal article on CCD, so there is absolutely nothing to link their "research" to CCD.

As Deamiter noted, it's irresponsible reporting.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Well if science is correct and the scientists conclude that their theorys are fact before proof, i.e. evolution, then it stands to reason that our bees will evolve to survive the radio waves man has created. So we are all good. :shhhh:

·
Registered
15 Posts
At best, they showed that cell phones inside a hive may cause problems. Their research did nothing to measure the effects of ambient EMR fields on colonies without cell phones inside.
I absolutely agree with this (and thanks for posting the actual article). Some other problems I have with this article:
In the abstract "Honeybee behavior and biology has been affected by electrosmog since these insects have magnetite in their bodies which helps them in navigation"
Where is the evidence for this? They don't cite an article that states this.
"Four colonies... were selected"
How? It doesn't say it was random.
They say that they used a blank colony plus one with dummy cellphones, but in the analysis they group these two together. Was there a difference?
Was this study blinded in any way? It doesn't seem like it.
"The exposure given was 15 min, twice a day..."
Was the hive opened for this? If so, were the other hives opened as well?
"...the bees became quiet and still or confused as if unable to decide what to do"
Can they really read the bees' thoughts (if they have thoughts)? :scratch:
"The present study therefore suggests that colony collapse does occur as a result of exposure to cellphone radiations."
As said by others, this is totally false. This study showed a drop in foraging and brood, the experimental colonies did not have CCD.

Sorry for the long post, I do research for a living, so bad science drives me crazy!
PS- Scientific theories are never proven, there can only be overwhelming evidence that one theory best represents the available data (i.e. evolution). :D

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its interesting actually because so many of those who want to see this link between cell phones and CCD seem to think those of us who don't believe it just don't care. Personally, if there was proof that the cell phones were causing CCD I would care a great deal. I think any beekeeper would care.

Thanks for all the info, I knew I could count on all of you to clear up this report. :gh:

I responded to the tweet that this wasn't an accurate theory and the focus of the cause of CCD is elsewhere but "mother nature network" wanted to set me straight by sending me the link to this story. :D I guess as a beekeeper who LOVES her girls, I just don't really care about their decline :rolleyes: Who'd a thunk right.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a pollination contract for a pumpkin field last year, and placed three of my best hives at the base of a cell tower. The three hives made it through the winter, and are booming this year thus far. I think the background cellular radiation on bees is rubbish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts