Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Wow... I'm totally interested if there are any "secret" ingredients!

I read the website and it doesn't mention any. TSC is about 20 mins away... one day when I'm in the neighborhood I'll have to stop in and see if the other side of the bag mentions anything different.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I know a coupla guys who use wood pellets for stoves... I would use them if they were free but wouldn't pay for them.

I'd be willing to bet these are the same thing just re-badged.

·
Registered
545 Posts

·
Registered
USDA Hardiness Zone 8a
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I went ahead and used these pellets in my smoker this afternoon. It took a couple of attempts and a few sheets of newspaper to get them going, but once lit they provided a cool white smoke for hours. Worked great. It is $5.99 for a 40lb bag. The smoke from the pine straw that I had been using was free, but the smoke was always kinda harsh and burned my eyes if the wind blew it my direction.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I went ahead and used these pellets in my smoker this afternoon. It took a couple of attempts and a few sheets of newspaper to get them going, but once lit they provided a cool white smoke for hours. Worked great. It is $5.99 for a 40lb bag. The smoke from the pine straw that I had been using was free, but the smoke was always kinda harsh and burned my eyes if the wind blew it my direction.
Great to know! Thanks!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Used to work for Hay company and would pick up pine shavings from plant directly. Pine pellets were made from shavings shake out (undersized)., darn expensive horses gotta have the right size flake to pee on, ya know.

Doesnt usually matter brand label, same stuff. Exact same they sell as "smoker fuel" in the gallon freezer ziploc bag to hobbyist beeks.
Horse supply stores sell it much much cheaper as pellitized bedding.

$5 for 40 or 50 lb bag is top price I would pay here local (horse country).

·
Registered
USDA Hardiness Zone 8a
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tend to like the smell of oak burning better than pine so I use the oak pellets intended for the pellet stoves. They work great and cost the same as the stall pellets. $5.49 for a 40# bag at my local TSC.

MajorJC, that pinestraw smoke *is* somewhat rough, isn't it?

Ed
I'll look for those oak pellets next time I'm there.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
The pellets work, with a couple caveats. First, they burn hot. Second, they fall out when the tip of the smoker is low, so you need to put something on top of them to keep them from going into the hive. :)

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Yelp, they'll roll around on you but I always put a ball of green grass or privet leaves over the pellets...it keeps the pellets in place and helps cool the smoke down. Being as the fire is at the bottom of the pellets the smoke moves up through the non-burning pellets and then through the moist leaves/grass. If I puff smoke on my hand I can't detect any heat. :) Some people put screen wire to hold the pellets in, but that doesn't do much for cooling the smoke.

Ed

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Pellets are all we have used for quite a number of years now. Ed is right, just a nice little wad of green grass is all you need to keep them contained. It's tough lighting them with just newspaper, you really need an intermediate fuel, small strips of cardboard are ideal. Once they are properly lit it provides good smoke for most of a day of intermittent use. I think it makes the 10" smoker obsolete.

·
Registered
USDA Hardiness Zone 8a
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wadded up a sheet of newspaper and shoved it in on top to keep from pouring the pellets into my hive. I'll try the green grass layer next time, I can see that would help cool the smoke more.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I use them no problem. we forgot the smoker the other day and it set out all night. when we found nit the next morning it was still burning. Not sure what would be considered lasting a long time but that works for me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts