Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cooled down to 98F with 86% humidity today. I have noticed my bees looking for a drink in our pool. I converted to a salt generator last year. I am concerned that the salt is killing my bees. I bought a chick feeder but don't see bees using it (right in front of hive). I have gone from a thriving hive 2 weeks ago to a no-brood hive. I have several queen cells with 1 hatched out. I saw another queen cell drug to the front of hive last night. Appears that she had a short life. This is my 1st hive. All of the hive body frames are filled out with honey, pollen, capped brood (I think). My super has 2 frames drawn out, about 1/3 full of honey. I hope it rebounds

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a swimming pool also and right by it I have a water garden in a pot. They were always on that water garden, but it has been really hot here with no rain. So, yesterday morning they were on a rope attached to a temperature gauge in the swimming pool, about 20 of them. They also were on my lounge chairs drinking the dew off of them. It rained last night and this morning there weren't that many. I think (I hope) that they only go for the swimming pool when it is hot and dry. I also have a pond in my yard that is closer to them than the swimming pool, so go figure. But, my hive seems to be thriving, so I don't think the water in the pool is harmful.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
I mentor several with pools in Florida. Bees prefer the pool at least the first year. They actually prefer and need the electrolytes to untreated pure water. Ten to twenty feet away seems to work best for a waterer.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I mentor several with pools in Florida. Bees prefer the pool at least the first year. They actually prefer and need the electrolytes to untreated pure water. Ten to twenty feet away seems to work best for a waterer.
I was wondering about putting a mineral/salt block out in a pan with wet sand. Do you think it would be helpful or harmful? It seems to me that if everything needs a little salt from plants to goldfish to sweat bees, our honey bees would too! :scratch:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
1."...salt is killing my bees..."
no problem. they know its salty.
2."chick feeder but don't see bees using it (right in front..."
they have trouble communicating("bee dance")when things are too close,plus they have established the pool as acceptable and arnt looking for more/new water.
3."...queen cell drug to the front of hive last night. Appears that she had a short life...."
they likely have a new virgin queen they have accepted and dont need another.
4."...hive body frames are filled out with honey, pollen, capped brood (I think)..."
you should inspect oftener to keep up with conditions. it sounds as though they needed a second brood deep, not a super, and probably swarmed.
good luck,mike

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
A Boardman feeder makes a good waterer. Put it on early in the spring and the bees will use it instead of a source away from the hive. After the bees have started using another water source the Boardman feeder will need to be filled with a thin syrup to get the bees started using it, then change to water.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i bought a concrete birdbath from lowes to keep them away from the neighbors pool. I put it between the pool and the hive. i added a little bleach and honey b health and they were in it in hours and havent stopped yet. $30 and it looks good in the yard too

1 - 8 of 8 Posts