Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
While I don't fall into the age group that you are looking at, I will give you both props for being young an IMO interested in something that most people wouldn't give a second look at. As a 3rd gen. beek, I wish I had gotten into it earlier, as I love this. I'll blame my dad for not getting me into it earlier, isn't that what everyone else is does, blame the parents? Actually, my dad got out when I was about 4 years old because he went the anaphylactic route with insect stings, so I don't really blame him, it's nice that he's still around. :) To make up for lost time, I am happy to say that I am spreading the joy to the younger generation. My nephew came down for a few days back in June and worked with me on a few hives. When he came to visit again in July, he couldn't wait to get out there and check out the bees again, he helped with an extraction of honey, and got to see bees in someone house that I later went and extracted, but he was really wanted to help on the wall removal or go after a swarm with me. I was happy to see that, I think I can make a keeper outta him yet! I almost sent him home with a hive. My even bigger pride is that my son is only 5 years old and already has the a years experience of being around bees and checking them with me. I still remember when he spotted his first swarm for me, granted it was in the back yard, but when I got home, he was soooo proud of himself. "Dad! I found a swarm of bees in our tree, come look, I kept an eye on em for ya til you got home!" If I can make this into a sucessful small business that someday I can hand over to my son, I will consider this my legacy. And for you other youngsters out there, I applaud you for your endeavor. :applause: Keep it up!

C2

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I have a friend 16 who has been keeping bees with his dad since he was 4. He now does swarm removals, cut outs and takes down bee trees by himself. Has good luck with this. Wants me to do cut outs with him to get free bees and I keep telling him that’s way to much work, so his mom drives him to the building and he does it himself. He’s been in the local paper 3 times this year. So once he gets his drivers license he might be doing pollination in California next. Ha Glad I’m not 16 anymore.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Hi Mike and Chris!

Does "Young at heart" count? :lpf: didn't think so...
Anyway, my reason for writing is this: If there are any problems unique to being a young beek, say college age and younger, perhaps you two could come up with such a list of unique difficulties/situations/opportunities, and present them to Barry as a reason to start a new section on the forum dedicated to "Young Beeks."

Most of the stuff you youngsters have to deal with is the same stuff we old fogies deal with, so we're in the same boat most of the time. Just wondering if there is anything unique to you folks (other than depending on folks and friends for transportation, for instance), that would warrent a separate section on the forum.
Good luck to you, and God Bless!
Steven

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm a senior in college now and started beekeeping this year. The only problem I've run into as a college beekeeper is scheduling when to check on my bees as my bees are in a different state and having to rely on reports from my Dad to get a sense of how my bees are doing. Overall though this has been one of the most enjoyable hobbies I have ever picked up and its great having a board like this where us younger beekeeper's can tap all the experience on the board.

·
Registered
457 Posts
For those who do know young bee keepers, encourage them to join Beesource. Mike and Giant there could use some friends who all have a few things in common; age and an interest in bees.

It is hard for me to remember, but at that age, I sure had a different world outlook and it was nice to hang out with others my age.

Pugs

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyway, my reason for writing is this: If there are any problems unique to being a young beek, say college age and younger, perhaps you two could come up with such a list of unique difficulties/situations/opportunities, and present them to Barry as a reason to start a new section on the forum dedicated to "Young Beeks."

Most of the stuff you youngsters have to deal with is the same stuff we old fogies deal with, so we're in the same boat most of the time. Just wondering if there is anything unique to you folks (other than depending on folks and friends for transportation, for instance), that would warrent a separate section on the forum.
Really i see no difference in age, I mean beekeeping is not really age specific. I see it as a level playing field. It all comes from experience. That is what I like about beesource vs. talking to people in person. When people here some of my crazy ideas at local meetings (like treatment free beekeeping) they roll their eyes and say, oh there goes crazy that crazy kid named Mike again :rolleyes:. On here, y'all have listened to my rambles, corrected me when I am wrong, and all learned a lot.
I really feel like beesource has TOTALLY changed the way i keep bees. Keep up the good work.
To answer your question, the only thing I have run into is people questioning what i buy at walmart and the hardware store. 'Cause who buys sugar by the cart load, and asks for special plywood. Especially a kid.
Thanks to all for your support and knowledge base!!!!

Mike @Kingfisher Apiaries

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Really i see no difference in age, I mean beekeeping is not really age specific.
Mike @Kingfisher Apiaries
! (I have a comment) If the younger generation on this forum start using text messaging acronyms to make their posts your going to see a big difference in the age thing. KWIM (know what I mean??) LOL

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My parents have raised me better than that, I do not do the texting thing. It those older than me that are using the acronyms that no on can understand.

Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Going to be a junior in high school come Sep. 1st. :cry: Why does it have to bee so early?! I don't often use text-speak. Besides, I don't know half of the abbreviations.:D

·
Registered
514 Posts
! (I have a comment) If the younger generation on this forum start using text messaging acronyms to make their posts your going to see a big difference in the age thing. KWIM (know what I mean??) LOL
I have noticed many of the younger beeks are more down to earth than most peers. I for example, would rather bee on the farm working than doing anything technology related. Another younger person in our club is starting a "youth bee club" that would be associated with the club. I think it would be nice to know other beeks our age considering we are far a few between. I do have a classmate who did the bee club scholorship becuase his dad made him and he is not terribly bright. :lpf:

·
Registered
86 Posts
kingfisher, my 11yr old and 15 yr old daughters assist me daily. the 11yr old has decided to paint her hives purple. i guess its better than pink. as a dad its really cool to have them helping. i try to instill good work ethic in them. i dont see much of it out there any more.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Graduated 1956, black jacket, ducktail haircut and a 1947 ford convertible (lowered of course):thumbsup:. I now have a cell phone and a computer that i can turn on and off and grandkids that show me how to use them:D. Cool man cool. Jack

·
Registered
37 Posts
Chalk up another high school junior. My dd is the beek in the family. She requested a hive for her b'day present last year. I'm just her extra sets of hands and eyes, sounding board, chief enabler, and beesitter when she's away. I lurk and learn here so that I can give her the best support that I can.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.