Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Grant Gillard's book Beekeeping And Swarm Trapping he talks about using 6 frame deep traps.

Does anyone else use 6 frame deep traps?:scratch:
What are your thoughts on this size trap?:s

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
If you are using eight frame hives you might as well use that. I continue to preach not making special equipment for traps.
Ten frame trap:

·
Registered
357 Posts
I just built a ten frame swarm trap. Made it from an old dresser that someone was going to burn. I think that odfrank is right though. If you need more equipment later you can use it on your hives .

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you are using eight frame hives you might as well use that. I continue to preach not making special equipment for traps.
Ten frame trap:

This is good advice. I built ONE swarm trap last year from scrap plywood, and a swarm actually moved in late season, so that's my first spring cutout coming up. It would have been so much better to have them swarm into a hive of mine, so they wouldn't get set back this spring.

Also, I like using inner covers as a temporary bottom or top for doing cutouts and swarm catching. They are very light, and you can just staple a screen over the hole for transport, and they still get good air circulation.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank You for the replys.
I have all 10 frame hives at the moment.
I also have a large pile of cut off pieces of plywood and 2x lumber from 2 duplexes so I haven't made up my mind what size to make.
I am thinking about making some of each and see how they do.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I agree with odfrank, use standard equipment for traps. I am putting out 10-frame deeps and 6-frame dcoates nucs. Both are equipment I use. I am thinking about going towards michael palmer style nucs as my apairy grows, havn't decided yet. Singles are probably to small, double 4-frame nucs should be fine

·
Registered
149 Posts
I use a 10 frame deep with 6 plastic frames and 4 frames with no foundation, baited with lemongrass oil. I like to keep the traps close to the ground, if a swarm moves in I just move the hive to my house and put out a new trap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts