Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m in West TN right outside of Memphis. I have an indoor observation hive and it is 3 weeks old! I am in love with my bees and go to the school almost daily to watch them (in the dark). I need all the wisdom I can soak up and any advice you have. I am eager to learn!

·
Registered
172 Posts
To successfully manage an observation hive you need to have a good basic understanding of how to keep and manage bees in general. Many observation hives are smaller than the typical setup used by most beekeepers. As the colony grows you will need to manage the bees so they don't get crowded and decide to swarm.

I have never had an observation hive but I have looked into them. This book is probably a good starting point for getting yourself educated about observation hives:

Observation Hives
How To Set Up, Maintain And Use A Window To The World Of Honey Bees
by Thomas Webster and Dewey Caron

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Welcome to Beesource, schoolbees!

Based on your write-up and your handle it sounds like you have the observation hive at school? Assuming so, this will be a great way to connect students to these fascinating creatures.

I would recommend taking the opportunity to visit the 'Observation Hive Forum' if you haven't already:

https://www.beesource.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?307-Observation-Hive-Forum

We've had some family teach in the Brownsville school district in years past- I applaud those of you who take up the noble profession of educator.

Good luck! Hopefully your students will be able to come back in August to interact with the hive.

Russ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to Beesource, schoolbees!

Based on your write-up and your handle it sounds like you have the observation hive at school? Assuming so, this will be a great way to connect students to these fascinating creatures.

I would recommend taking the opportunity to visit the 'Observation Hive Forum' if you haven't already:

https://www.beesource.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?307-Observation-Hive-Forum

We've had some family teach in the Brownsville school district in years past- I applaud those of you who take up the noble profession of educator.

Good luck! Hopefully your students will be able to come back in August to interact with the hive.

Russ
I’m on my way over there to check it out! We are a small district, chances are good I’ve crossed paths with your folks. Praying for my kiddos to be able to see the bees soon as well. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts