Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks kinda like a clover. I have looked everywhere and cannot find what this is. It grows pretty thick here and started blooming a few days-week ago. It grows all winter and as a short bloom time. It's about to die off.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe a species of oxalis?
That's what I thought too. I looked all the ones I could find and nothing matched. It still could be though. Might be something in the Sorrel family. When it comes to flower ID's I can find most of them, but this one has me stumped.

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
I'm pretty much positive it is an oxalis, just not sure which one. Do bees work it?

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They were the day I noticed it blooming. Saw a couple on it today. I don't keep bees at my house so not sure how hard they work it. Since I don't get to watch my gals everyday. I have some of this at my house but I mowed it before it bloomed. Where my hives are its all pasture and never mowed.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If it has three leaves it is a clover. Oxalis has 4 leaves/stalk with little white flowers born singly on stalk. The flowers look like some kind of Medic. Medics are wild alfalfa.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's hard to see the flower in the picture, but I'm thinking something like Oxalis stricta which has three leaflets and a yellow flower. It should have seedpods that look a little like okra. It's called sourgrass around here.
Tastes pleasantly sour, kind of lemony, leaves and pods. Take a bite! :eek:
If it's not sour it's something else.

I don't know if bees like it.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found it!

Medicago arabica. (spotted medick, spotted burclover, heart clover)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts