Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20190217_114801[1].jpg

Anyone familiar with this frame end? Inherited a bunch of stuff with these included.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Did you see this?

https://www.beesource.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/endbars.png

At least it will help you determine who didn't make them. The Kelly and Beeline frames are similar but the tang in the bottom bar dado is shorter in both of them. Yours goes all the way down and would use two separate pieces of wood to make a divided bottom bar.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, two separate pieces, with a nail kerf cut. Had enough parts to assemble 30 frames. Dad retailed Dadant back in the 60's and maybe 70's, and my brother had lots of strange stuff. Just cleaning up leftovers I can't stand to throw a way.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Yes, split bottom ends. I still have a bunch of frames built like that.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Is one side of the outer edge of the endbars at the top beveled and the opposite flat? I can’t tell for sure from the photos. If so, Kelly used to make them that way. They claimed that if properly oriented, when placed in a hive a beveled side would rest against the flat side of the adjoining frame. Their claim was that the frames would be easier to separate when removing them from the hive. Less direct propolized contact area.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
If I remember correctly Beeline used to make their frames like that, the little piece in the bottom of the endbar fitted into the slot in the bottom bar and made the bottom joint solid when glued and nailed. Unfortunately they moved up to Michigan and freight became a little heavy so I have not used them for about 5 years. They also made rabbit joint boxes which I preferred over the finger jointed ones.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Is one side of the outer edge of the endbars at the top beveled and the opposite flat? I can’t tell for sure from the photos. If so, Kelly used to make them that way.
That's why I suggested Kelley....but others made the beveled end bars. Many of my early frames were split bottoms. Don't like them. The bees sometimes make queen cells up in the space between the bars. Difficult to see when they're very young.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Many of my early frames were split bottoms. Don't like them.
Agreed. I bought a load of them one time. Didn't like them either. In addition to hidden queen cells, those bottom bars were more difficult to attach securely. I ended up putting a brad in each and then a couple horizontally through the end bars.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
I was gong to guess Kelly also. Drop the frame on those bottom slats and they broke real easy. I went to grooved bottom bars early on. I still have foundation for solid bottom bars. Nice chemical free wax 40 years old.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think quite a few companies made these way back in the day when split bottom bars and beveled end bars were common. Leahy Manufacturing here in Missouri made them...probably still have a few in my supers. They started back in the 1800's making bee hives and chicken incubators. Went out of business in the early 1980's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts