Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting a new package hopefully soon ...Would like to go foundationless and have ordered a bunch of Kelley's foundationless frames with the comb guide on top..Anyone out there who has used it and can share how well it worked...I am new to beekeeping and foundationless seems to be the way to go at least as a hobby keeper...Want to ensure I don't make it harder than it needs to be...So would like to hear from people who may have used it before...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Your bees will drawn their own comb in any available opening. Foundationless frames from Kelly are not necessary, as you can turn any frame into foundationless by removing the wood strip, turning it sideways, and gluing/nailing into the frame as a top guide. Your bees will draw this out fine.

I recommend running wire in your super frames, as the centrifugal extraction can blow them out. Also, honey super frames are not brood frames, so you can use foundation in them with no problems.

Even better is using plastic drone comb for your supers, as this stimulates bees to work harder and fill them, (unlike regular foundation comb or even natural comb.)

The point being - you can consider brood and super comb to have different purposes both to the bees and to your management. Using foundationless in brood comb - to let bees make comb according to their preference, and, when rotated every other year, to keep the wax clean - is a great method for bee health. Using other comb for honey storage is a good method as well.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
You always need some kind of comb guide. The Kelley foundationless ones come with a guide. If you break out a wedge and turn it sideways you have a guide. If you put an empty frame between two drawn brood combs or capped honey combs you have a guide.

They work fine. The most important thing to do with foundationless is check early on and make sure they are going straight. The only down side of foundationless, in my opinion, is that one wild comb leads to another, while the up side is that a straight comb leads to another. Where with foundation at least each comb is a new start. So make sure the first comb or two are in the frame and not running wild. If they are running wild, push them back in line or cut them and tie them back in the frame. Once you have one straight comb, it leads to more straight combs so this is usually all it takes to get things back on track if they get off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts