Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
I am not sure about a differance in venom.I do think it matters where you get stung.I got stung on the lowere lip last year.It was the worse reaction i ever had.I allways sweell a bit but i thought i was off to the ER when i got it on the lip. I have been stung 6 or 8 times since then and no bad reaction.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I think race is irelevant, but some stings are worse than others. I don't know if some bees just have more venom or some manage to pump more in. But some are much worse than others. Some you can't tell where you got stung 5 minutes later and some leave a lump for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have mild arthritis, but it only bothers me from late december until spring. I credit the bee stings I get during the season. Anyone else experiance this? I heard Harvard University was doing a study on it.
Any way, reguardles I now squeeze the venom sack left when I'm stung to get the full dose. After 6 or 7 "full" stings, I dont swell up at all.
J.R.

[This message has been edited by John Russell (edited May 07, 2004).]

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have a bit of arthritis in my fingers, and when the bees are not active I cannot make fists with my hands. At the moment I can close both hands very well. Even the worse finger, which normally tries to overlap the one next to it when I close my hand, is falling into placel.
Ox

·
Registered
581 Posts
I got stung last night removing a feral hive and have a very nice sized welt on my thigh, about 6" across. Good war m burn going on too. But I have been stung on the arm and had very little welt. I think it is more of where less of what kind.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Some people claim the only thing that helps there arthritis is bee stings.glad to here some of you are feeling better from the stings.When i was stung on the lip.I turned red as a lobster from head to toe breathing got heavy> i was told the redness was from low blood pressure.Scared me to death.just about called a guy and had him come get my bees.But nuthing close to that has happend since.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I saw a show on Discovery Health channel tonite where an elderly lady was mowing the pasture and was attacked by a great number of bees. They blamed the attack on a rare combination of "a cold front and a lack of pollen". Don't ask me, that's what the local bee "experts" blamed it on. I think she maybe bumped over a hive or two.

The police showed up and sprayed her with a CO2 extiguisher which more or less froze the bees. Then the medics show up and one just started plucking bees off of her, leaving the stingers stuck in her and pumping out venom.

When they got her to the hospital, the RN used a credit card to scrape off the stingers. She didn't say that using tweezers would squirt in more vemom, but said it was necessary to scrape because "otherwise a piece of the stinger would remain".

Anyway, the woman had been taking medicine for athritis for years and said how the pills had given only slight temporary relief. But after being massively stung, her arthritis has not bothered her at all for over two years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts