Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that planted 6 acres to buckwheat for a covercrop mixed with alittle cowpea but mainly buckwheat. Will not be sprayed at all. It looks like a fabulous area for an apiary. I plant small plots (5 x 10 raised beds) of buckwheat at my house and the bees work it very well.

Is there any downside to that much buckwheat?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The only down side I can think of is taste and color. Buckwheat honey is dark and strong flavored. Both of these are fine with me, but some people do not like either. We have planted some buckwheat every year but this one, and our customers like the flavor mixed with all of the other flavors.
Dave

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried to make Jadwiga that called for Buckwheat honey. It did not taste like the Jadwiga that I was given! I like darker honey, my kids and wife do not. To each their own I guess.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
after about 11am your bees may get a bit testy as the buckwheat stops abruptly. I love the honey but never could get it to go through my filters, to thick. If you do get black honey, please post the name of the seed sown as I have people that would like to plant some, but most seed doesn't produce honey.

·
Vendor
5,284 Posts
The only con I saw were the dragon flies! It seems like they just waited for the bees to come every morning ........then feasted!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I have read (I think in the Cornell buckwheat pdf) that buckwheat honey, darker and heavier tasting than say clover honey, sells at a premium. To me it's kind of like true maple syrup - not everyone likes the strong flavor compared to Mrs. Butterworth's, but those that do are willing to pay a premium for it.

6 acres of buckwheat sounds like bee heaven to me. And no dearth.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes someone please post a good seed source for buckwheat. I have a friend that has some acreage that said I can plant some bee forage next year. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Thanks for the links I see that it says "Must be mowed/harrowed or otherwise incorporated before seed is mature; otherwise it may become a weed." Does this mean that it will re-grow if I let it go to seed and only mow it at the end of the yr?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
"Does this mean that it will re-grow if I let it go to seed and only mow it at the end of the yr?"

Mine lasts pretty much the entire growing season, so I don't think my season is long enough for it to mature, go to seed, and turn into another batch before frost kills it. Unless it does when I'm not looking.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
"Does this mean that it will re-grow if I let it go to seed and only mow it at the end of the yr?"

Mine lasts pretty much the entire growing season, so I don't think my season is long enough for it to mature, go to seed, and turn into another batch before frost kills it. Unless it does when I'm not looking.
Here depending on when planted it will indeed reseed itself in a single season. If planted early I expect it could twice. The self seeded secondary crop I have noticed is quite a bit thinner than the original planted crop. G

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have read (I think in the Cornell buckwheat pdf) that buckwheat honey, darker and heavier tasting than say clover honey, sells at a premium. To me it's kind of like true maple syrup - not everyone likes the strong flavor compared to Mrs. Butterworth's, but those that do are willing to pay a premium for it.

6 acres of buckwheat sounds like bee heaven to me. And no dearth.
I have seen studies that showed that Buckwheat honey has the highest anti-oxidant levels of all the different varieties of honey tested, which makes it a top seller for the natural food/health conscious crowd.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts