Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hadn't started feeding syrup because I had a feeling, but apparently there was enough nectar to get my queens laying, 4 stack nuc didn't die of lack of food, I'm in North Texas, they had more brood than bees and the bees froze. Bunch of capped brood under the main cluster, purple eye stage, any chance it will hatch before I scrape it off?

·
Registered
422 Posts
You should wait a couple days, I have a cousin in Dallas and I though the forecast puts you back in the 70's shortly. They maybe still alive

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All of the bees were dead, covering the capped brood. I did not scrape the brood off, but I did move the box off the hive and let one of my living hives clean up honey before small hive beetles show up. I've got kids here today, I will check on the brood tomorrow, maybe early in the morning before the bees are out. Capped brood should be able to handle our night time temp tonight? or will I need to do something this evening? I could maybe add to a hive. if I did really quickly.... still have suit on. added a box of empty frames to the booming wild hive.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Put the box of brood on a strong hive. If the brood is still viable, which I seriously doubt, the bees will tend it. More likely they will start uncapping and removing the dead pupae before they start to rot in the comb. It is a win/win given the circumstances.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's dark now, will do it tomorrow. I don't think it's viable. We had a low of 2 below on Monday night. From spring to that, nope.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
All of the bees were dead, covering the capped brood. I did not scrape the brood off, but I did move the box off the hive and let one of my living hives clean up honey before small hive beetles show up. I've got kids here today, I will check on the brood tomorrow, maybe early in the morning before the bees are out. Capped brood should be able to handle our night time temp tonight? or will I need to do something this evening? I could maybe add to a hive. if I did really quickly.... still have suit on. added a box of empty frames to the booming wild hive.
If all the bees were dead, then the colony is dead. I had several that looked dead last week, but today it warmed up into the 60's and they're hauling out dead bees by the hundreds and some white brood too. I'm hoping they didn't lose all the brood. Even so, if the queen survived, she can start again. 🤞

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nothing survived in this one. I had reflective bubblewrap on the north side of the hive, and foam under the roof, but it was brutally cold. They don't cluster well when they are covering brood. My larger hives made it, this one wasn't big enough

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Nothing survived in this one. I had reflective bubblewrap on the north side of the hive, and foam under the roof, but it was brutally cold. They don't cluster well when they are covering brood. My larger hives made it, this one wasn't big enough
I also lost a hive earlier this winter like that. It sure looked like they were trying to protect brood and couldn't get to the honey nearby.

Should be a lot fewer africanized bees in TX for a year or two.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,434 Posts
already clilled

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
That brood is chilled and dead. It is only good to put those frames of dead brood on a strong colony when freshly dead, will make the task healthier for the bees and probably easier.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't put them on any colony. I stacked the boxes of frames on the back of my trailer and the bees robbed the honey out, and robbed what they wanted of anything else. I put the frames in my freezer yesterday. I am assuming a swarm could clean them up down the road. What I do want to know is what this is. White crystaline stuff in a lot of those frames. That hive may have had 8 frames of uncapped brood, the queen was fairly young and we had wonderful spring weather before the freeze, they had plenty of food.

Top image right after I took hive apart, taken indoors, olympus. Bottom image, taken outdoors, cell camera, after bees had taken what they wanted from the hive. P2220172.JPG DSC_3301.JPG
P2220172.JPG

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,434 Posts
My Guess
crystalized honey with the liquid suck out.
looks fine the bees will clean it out when needed.

GG

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok. Just so it's not a weird disease, the bees have been healthy no mites that I could find on sticky board, no signs of illness. The hive had been dead a couple of days and quite frozen, so that would crystalize. Thank you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts