Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered that Kelley has discontinued their F style frames. Does anyone make something similar?

·
Registered
65 colonies +/- mostly Langstroth mediums, a few deeps for nuc production
493 Posts
Take any wedge top frame, turn the wedge sideways to be the comb guide.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I rip thin strips of wood to dab with glue and drop into the groove of frames designed for plastic foundation.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to clarify, I've used several types of starter strips, including turned wedges from wedge tops, popsicle sticks, square dowels, and my favorite, some plastic tabs sold by Eli Spehar. However, the Kelley frames' built-in guides require 1 less step in frame assembly. I also crush and strain to harvest, and it's much easier to cut & scrape away the combs w/o starter strips in the way.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i purchase wedge top and solid bottom board frames from western bees in montanta? i then rip the top bars down the table saw on one side (opposite of wedge) at an angle so that there is maybe a 35 degree cone the bees can start on; i.e. one side is square where wedge was an other is that ~35degree cone. i rub some wax on there and it works mintos. i am against grooves in frames as they are places for pests to hide, this is the most cost effective solution i have found. it would be nice to get f styles again to remove the table saw process but small price to pay for .8$ frames.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts