Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to keep moths out of my hive that died last winter. It was cold out when I found out they had died. I just stacked the hives in the garage because it is really cold here until march. I just did not want the moths to get in before spring. They suggest moth balls but I think they contain paradichlorobenzene
My wife informed me that is a known cause of leukemia.
My daughter is in her last month of her two year treatment for leukemia. Needless to say I do not want to use that stuff. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Wisconsin? Isn't it pretty cold there? I would think just setting them in your unheated garage or outside in the snow is all you need to fight the moth. The moth needs warmth and darkness, so store your boxes in cold and full light, and you'll not have probs with moths. (at least I don't)

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Paradichlorobenzene is not the same as conventional moth balls, a naptha product. I'm not sure which one is linked to any human problems, but most beginners don't realize there is a difference. DO NOT use conventional moth balls (naptha) on bee equipment.

I don't use either. I spray/mist my unattended frames with Xen Teri (Bt) before putting them into storage. In three seasons, I have had no moth problems with stored comb. They are stored in an unheated shed.

check the "for sale" for Sundance. He sells it. Three teaspoons in a gallon garden sprayer and I can treat about 14 supers/brood boxes and their frames.

Grant
Jackson, MO

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I also have been using Xen Teri (Bt) also goes by names Certan or B-401. spray the frames using any pump sprayer then I turn the empty supers upside down to allow drainage and exposes the frames to more light when stacked inversely to each other.
I have not lost a single frame to wax moths since I started to use it. (3 years) Another benefit the bees will jump all over the frames when you start using them again because they don’t stink from moth crystals

Last year I performed a test I left a nuc outside unoccupied. I alternated frames treated and untreated with BT. Results were untreated frames were completely devastated by wax moths. Treated frames were left untouched.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
If you live in a cold climate, the moths probably won't be around in any numbers until July or August. By then you can put those on a hive to let the bees guard them. No need for any artificial method of protecting them.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I have used pdb for years, always vigorously airing out the supers with a box fan for a day or so before putting them on the hives. However, I'm always interested in better ways to do things.

Please forgive my ignorance, but as I am trying to be chemical free in my beekeeping, can someone explain just what Xen Teri (Bt, Certan, and B-401) are? I understand different names for same chemical. But isn't a spray, as opposed to a gas, more of a danger of contaminating combs for extraction?

Now, assuming I'm convinced I should use this, do I spray both sides of each frame individually, or simply turn the super of frames upside down, and spray between the frames? What is the easiest/best way of application?
Thanks!
Steven

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
As far as spraying the frames, I spray between the frames then turn it upside down to let them drain. I originally removed the frames and sprayed both sides. But the easier method seems to be just effective.

For more information on Bt contact Sundance on this forum, he can provide any information you might need.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
How many frames do you have. If you desire to use no type of treatment, then you may want to consider the purchase of a small freezer for when wax moths become a problem.

If you do nothing, then you will surely lose the comb. I will be posting pictures showing the results of not watching where I put comb, when the wax moth fairy visited me. They made a mess of it. Fascinating and Disgusting at the same time.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I use moth crystals. I have always been told to use the crystals and not moth balls. Not sure what the difference is. I put about a tablespoon on top of 3 hives then I wrap all 3 hives in plastic wrap from Lowes.Then I ler then air out for 3 days before I use them in the spring

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Thanks for the links, Barry and Brent. The link Brent posted takes you to a good article about Bt, in this case B401, which answers a lot of questions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts