Good day, folks.
Lately, I've been reading a bit about some beeks developing an allergy to bee stings. When I read these posts, I think three things:
1. I'm glad the beek is OK
2. Bummer about developing an allergy
3. I really hope that never happens to me
Interesting story. (at least for me)
I was squatting next to the hives last Thursday morning and a little lady landed on my shoulder and stung me. I'm pretty sure she didn't like the smell of the deodorant I was using. Anyway, I didn't think anything of it. I flicked the stinger out and walked back up to the garage where I was planning on helping my mom re-pot some plants.
By the time I got there (about 30 seconds after the sting) I started feeling extremely panicky. My heart was beating rapidly, I had a huge head rush and felt really warm, you know, like you do just before you pass out. I also felt a little nauseous. I told my mom I thought I was having an allergic reaction to the bee sting and told her how I was feeling. All I wanted to do was sit and try to calm myself down.
I felt secure having someone with me (who also had an epipen) just in case I started having difficulty breathing, so I took a seat on the porch and chilled out for about 15 minutes and everything seemed to be OK.
So, here's the thing. I don't know if I was having an actual allergic reaction or if I was seriously having an anxiety attack. I've had one anxiety attack in the past and they're scary. This felt exactly the same.
If this were an allergic reaction, would these weird symptoms go away after 15 minutes? All I know, is that after I knew I wasn't going to die, I felt extremely wiped out and had to nap for a while. I'm wondering if, after reading about people developing allergies, perhaps I had a psychosomatic response? :scratch: