Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using a Broardman(?) feeder, the kind that has a quart jar and the lid that allows the syrup to drip. I seem to be feeding ants as a result. I would like to be as organic as possible in the remedy.

I was thinking about putting diamatacious(sp?) earth surrounding the hive on the ground. Will this work, and will it hurt the bees?

What other organic remedies are there?

·
Registered
153 Posts
What works best for me is find a large sturdy pan that will hold two bricks. Put the bricks in the pan and sit the hive on top of the bricks, fill the pan with water to build a moat. The bees get a new water source as well.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I use DE around my hives and i also sprinkle ground cinnamin right on top of the inner cover. Thats what i do and i have the ant problem under control! I had 1000's of them carrying eggs all over the top inner cover and about 4 days after applying DE and the ground cinnamin i had maybe an average of 0-12 ants when i visit the hive!! Thats a big difference! I feed on top of my inner cover as well with a double jar feeder. But since my bees are multiplying and eatting more im gonna build acouple 4 jar feeders this week. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had ant last yr. I was working out of town. I came home after 3or4 wks. and the bees were all dead.The mistery was what happened? Then I saw the ants and pieced it together. This spring I took 2 5gal buckets and filled them half way with concrete and put 4*4 post anchors in. Then filled the bucket with water making a mote. Plus I don't have to bend over.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Of course you could stop using the bordman feeders and go with a hive top such as the one from Walter T Kelly. It uses quart jars.
Bordmans have many drawbacks. You should not use for medication in direct sunlight. The encourage robbing and in my experience the heating of the day expands the air trapped above the syrup and as the air exands if forces the syrup out and onto the ground. As long as you continue to put syrup on the ground you will never get rid of the ant problem.
I do not like DE because the risk to the bees is more than I find acceptable.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Oddly, I live in and close to you. I put down cypress Mulch. For some reason they do not like it and I havent had an ant problem since....

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I am trying coffee grounds from Starbucks. So I will have good fertilizer and a good smell and hopefully a too acidic soil for them to walk through. What is DE? I also think a bag of lime works and that is cheap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts