Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the ant topic has been beat to death here.

My problem is not that they bother the colonies. It is that there is a monster colony and they invariably crawl up my legs.

Is there any reason I can't sprinkle something like Diazon on the colony and cover it with something to avoid the bees getting into it??

I would prefer something less toxic. But I need to get a handle on these rascals.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
A big pot of boiling water poured right down the center will usually do the trick. It works on fire ant hills. It will also kill back the grass. May also try soapy water or boric acid. IMO, Diazinon doesn't actually kill them. I think it only makes them mad and they move.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great idea..... I'll try the boiling water. The area is about 5 to 6 feet in diameter though.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Boric acid. Borax. Jelly mixed with borax. Or the Smokey the Bear method. Drown. Dig and stir. Drown again. Then pack it down tight.

5 to 6 feet in diameter? Maybe a bulldozer and a firetruck would be appropriate.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is in my home beeyard so I would like to get rid of it.

I wonder if DEET repellant would keep them off as I dig in?? I think digging is probably required for any shot at hurting this colony.

To bad there aren't ant mites :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts