Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can I do to prevent this and kill the ants without hurting my bees? I had thought about gluing each opening of the board.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Yep...cinnamon.

You can fill those corrugated openings with some spackle or caulk if you want to take it that far...but regular treatments of cinnamon should help greatly. (go to the dollar store...not your major supermarket for the cinnamon)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Do you keep the mite board in under the hive all the time? I haven't used one in a few years but, when I did use one I only left it under the hive for a few days to get a mite count. I wouldn't think the ants would be that big a problem for just a couple days while your doing a mite check

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yes, cinnamon. I just bought 8 oz for $0.97 at a dollar store. Sure, it's no doubt cassia, but has the same oils that "true" cinnamon does. I sprinkled some around the base of my hives this morning and the ants, er, made a beeline straight away from the hive. There were no ants on the hives this evening. It has started to rain, so I'll have to replenish sooner rather than later.

My problem with the corrugated plastic slide-in trays is earwigs. I haven't kept the tray in much this year, but when I do use it for sampling I'll see if cinnamon works on them, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts