Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a quilt box on one of my hives to help with the moisture problem I got once the weather turned cooler. Took a look in there today and discovered that the warm damp shaving in the quilt box are infested with ants.
Any one have thoughts on what my next move should be?

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Couple of thoughts. First, dump/replace the shavings, of course. Know what kind of ants they are? Generally, small "sugar" ants cause no harm but are an annoyance. If they are a more threatening specie of aunt, some people have had success with borax. Might be a good application here since the QB is isolated from the bees. Perhaps put a small amount in a shallow plastic yogurt container with some honey or sugar as a bait and place in QB? Just a thought. J

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
The ants probably have to climp up the hive to get to the quilt box (They don't fly most of the time) so you need to stop them from climbing. Placing the hive legs/base in water/oil will stop the ants. There are probably other methods, but this is an idea.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ants probably have to climp up the hive to get to the quilt box (They don't fly most of the time) so you need to stop them from climbing. Placing the hive legs/base in water/oil will stop the ants. There are probably other methods, but this is an idea.
Thanks for the response. I replaced the damp shavings with fresh one and killed all the ants I could see. They were just sugar ants... but I still don’t like them in the hive. I also put some cinnamon on a paper towel in the quilt box hoping that might encourage any I missed to leave.
Tomorrow I’ll put the stand legs in buckets with an inch or two if vegetable oil.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve never tried it until now...I didn’t mix it in with the shaving but rather put down a paper towel on top of the shaving and sprinkled cinnamon on the paper towel. Is that how you do it and how well does it work for you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am no expert by any means and my experience is in Illinois in the Spring when ants give me trouble. I bought a 5 lb bag on Amazon. I've used it sprinkling around the base of my colony. Also on the Inner Cover at the top of the colony. I dont use Quilt boxes so not sure if Sprinkling Cinnamon in the quilt box works or not. Bees don't care terribly for the cinnamon but it doesnt seem to hurt them. I've always avoided direct contact with bees but haven't ever gone out of my way to keep them away from it either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wouldnt be afraid of Sprinkling the Cinnamon in with the wood shaving in a moderate amount. Again, I'm only starting my 3rd year beekeeping. If anyone else with more experience has any suggestions I defer to them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts