Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a quick search for existing threads, and couldn't find any dealing with this, but can't imagine I have an original problem here.

I pulled off some pollen traps today, which had some ants move in. It looks like they were trying to set up a colony in the pollen trap, but they could have been foragers I guess. I've put the traps in a freezer. The next few days are forecast to be rain anyway. Ants were accessing via the back of the hives, I'm using bottom sundance traps.

One had the red bull/carpenter ant, another some stout,fat black ant. Neither of which seemed to respond to ant bait, or DE sprinkled around the hive stand.

I'm chalking it up to spring in the south with summer on the way, in other words an uphill battle against bugs; but hoped to trap pollen for another month before packing up the traps. I'm not too interested in the hive stand in oil can or water routine, but that might possibly be my option in the future.

Any words of wisdom?

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Michael Bush has a recipe. I believe it is equal parts of jelly, borax and water that he said would take care of the ants. I remembered it because I have ants bad. I have also sprayed tempo in a ring around the hives and that works until it rains.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts