Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not normally concerned with ants anymore, but I checked in on my TBH yesterday and found an extremely large number, right above the first spacer, at the front of the hive.

I brushed them off and covered the area with cinnamon, and dumped cinnamon under the hive as well. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I pour dish soap and water on to the ant hill not sure if it kills them or makes them relocate but it works for me. Others use a borax bait trap, it didn't work for me though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I use semolina, cinnamon only deters, semolina kills.

It's the flour used to make pasta so it's harmless to everything other than my waistline. The ants eat it, it expands and they explode. Kills whole colonies in a couple weeks as they feed it to the queen.

As for the danger, I wouldn't worry about it so much. I've had ant nest form between my observation window and the cover and on top of my top bars many times. The bees always keep them out of the hive, but they are annoying and so I got rid of them.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone.

It appears that they are just there and around the hive in general. Funny thing, I have a boardman feeder inside in the back of the hive (it's a 2 week old package) and there are hardly any ants there.
I peeked in the brood nest area, and there are no ants on the hive body. I just reattached comb a week ago, so I don't want to disturb too much in that spot just yet.

Ennui- thanks for the semolina tip. I'll go get some!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I use semolina, cinnamon only deters, semolina kills.

It's the flour used to make pasta so it's harmless to everything other than my waistline. The ants eat it, it expands and they explode. Kills whole colonies in a couple weeks as they feed it to the queen.

As for the danger, I wouldn't worry about it so much. I've had ant nest form between my observation window and the cover and on top of my top bars many times. The bees always keep them out of the hive, but they are annoying and so I got rid of them.
awesome!!! i don't have an ant problem...but it's nice to know the solution :) thanks for that heads up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts