Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got about 15 hives in my backyard and simple can’t keep the ants away from the hives. Even right now they are covered with small, black ants. At first I bought some white powder, boric acid and made a line around the hives. After a while, at my surprise ants were jumping over the boric acid.
I put the hives on pallets with legs and the legs in cups of oil (it is not the best idea – pollution). As soon as a fallen, dry leaf made a dry bridge over the oil they were back in the hives. Now I used some chemicals from Wall-Mart, but with no results and I am afraid not to harm the bees using pesticides.
Can anyone give me a suggestion how to handle this ant problem? Probably I can move away the hives if needed.
Thank you a lot.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ants will leave a chemical trail from your hives back to their nests. So if you see ants coming and going from your hives, then it is possible to track them back to their nests and treat them in that one location.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
If it is not too cost prohibitive, go to a Farm Supply or Pet outlet and buy the large 10 - 12 inch diameter feed dishes that are about 3 inches deep. Place one under each leg of your hive stand. Fill them with water. It will keep the ants from being able to access the legs of the hive stand AND provide water for the bees. Consider placing a small board or something for the bees to land on in each dish to keep them from accidentally drowning.

·
Registered
459 Posts
We just sprinkled ground cinnamon all around the hives and the ants didnt like it.When I find ants on my inner and outer covers or my feeder boards I cover them with cinnamon and shake it around til they are coated then put them back on the hive.Ants will leave after that.I've used instant grits to keep ants out of my house.

·
Registered
855 Posts
When my hives have ant troubles, it is usually because of a moisture problem within the hive. Ants need water. Simply raising the top cover's "lip" and setting it onto the front edge of the inner cover - allowing air to circulate between the top cover and the inner cover has always cured the problem here. No moisture, no ant nest. OMTCW

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Not surprised. No self respecting Southerner would eat instant grits...even ants. :eek:
:lpf::lpf::lpf:
Thanks alpha6, I brightened my day.

Kindest Regards
DRU

·
Registered
706 Posts
What to do about ants here is a good way if you have legs on your hive stand stick each leg in a tuna can half filled with cooking oil makes a good mote that ants and other crawling bugs can't cross.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts