Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Ants and Unidentified Larvae

1175 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Joseph Clemens
Bee Insect Honeycomb Honeybee Pest
Hello everyone! I am new to beekeeping and recently started two hives. I used nucs and setup the hives about two weeks ago. Both hives are doing well, drawing comb on foundationless frames, and have new eggs. During my last inspection this weekend, I noticed that one of my hives was infested with ants. I'm not sure of what kind of ants they are. Also, in the tray of my screened bottom, there were larvae and ants together. Is this bee larvae? I don't know if the ants are eating the bee larvae or if I have another pest growing in my hive. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the link. I appreciate your help. I've been looking through many pics and can't find an exact match. Good news is that most of them had left when I checked on the hives this afternoon. I removed the sugar-water boardman feeders, sprinkled ground cinnamon, and placed ant poison stakes/disc under the hive. Fingers-crossed...I hope they stay gone for good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.