Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we don't have a better place for classic long hives, dropping it right here - an excellent video of a classic Ukrainian hive.
The classic Old World "top bar hive" - very appropriately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jemP8FEP_dE

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
That looks like smashing hive, Greg - thanks - and as with so many of the videos from the Ukraine, really wish they had subtitles. Interesting little door at the back - I picked up a word in the commentary which sounded like 'stimulate' - so may be for supplying feed ? But that would appear to only work if the partition/follower board was removed ... ?
Questions, questions ... there's obviously a need to attract a Ukranian onto the forum who could then translate. :)
LJ

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks like smashing hive, Greg - thanks - and as with so many of the videos from the Ukraine, really wish they had subtitles. Interesting little door at the back - I picked up a word in the commentary which sounded like 'stimulate' - so may be for supplying feed ? But that would appear to only work if the partition/follower board was removed ... ?
Questions, questions ... there's obviously a need to attract a Ukranian onto the forum who could then translate. :)
LJ
The video author did not now know the purpose of the door - as he stated.

However, from my readings on Polish/Ukrainian long hives, that is pretty standard solution for the long hives of that design and time (late 19th/early 20th century).
That is a "utility door" (allows to clean the bottom easily as you just sweep the hive out; allows for inserting supplemental feed w/o opening the hive during wet/cold weather - basically, an alternative utility access with minimal bee disturbance).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts