Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am supposed to pick up 2 hives this week that are already working.. supposed to have honey, babies, etc..

and on the 20th i'm supposed to be getting two packages of bees from another place that sells packaged bees..

it's texas summer already.. i own a 7 acre flower garden and i'm out there landscaping in 96 degrees... and it's just may.. The wildflowers that i see are starting to dry up...

as far as i know, i'm the only one with flowers around my area, and that's because i irrigate twice a week,,..

so... i know i'm gonna have to feed them, but where do bees get nectar, pollen, etc when things like this happen... am i going to be their sole supply of food in auguest?

d

·
Registered
147 Posts
it's texas summer already.. i own a 7 acre flower garden and i'm out there landscaping in 96 degrees... and it's just may.. The wildflowers that i see are starting to dry up...

as far as i know, i'm the only one with flowers around my area, and that's because i irrigate twice a week,,..

so... i know i'm gonna have to feed them, but where do bees get nectar, pollen, etc when things like this happen... am i going to be their sole supply of food in auguest?
Hey there. I'm in northern Mexico, quite close to you so our weather and vegetation is similar.

Right now the Palo Fierro (trees with purple flowers) are still in semi bloom and should be like this for another week or so. You can consider June, July and even into August the time when your bees will have no outside source of food. When the rainy season hits you'll be ok again as flowers pop up everywhere along the arroyos.

The season for flowers was the last 2-3 months, you'll wait 2-3 months without flowers and have another 2-3 months of flowers and then another 2-3 months of no flowers.

In short - 2 flower seasons.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts