Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hived a package on may 10th. May 15th checked queen release, OK, and removed cage. Added another 1/2 gallon feed, via mason jar on inner cover, May 22nd and all looked OK as foragers were bringing in lots of pollen.
Today did a first inspection and discovered a big ant (carpenters?) problem. Bees were in great shape, 4 1/2 frames of brood, capped and uncapped, 3 frames of stores. However when I took off the top cover I found thousand of large black ants and much ant larvae on 2 different sizes covering the top of the inner cover. The bees had propolized the gap in the inner cover hole between the mason jar and the cover and had emptied the jar. The ants have severly damaged the inner cover and the corner of the empty deep around the mason jar. Brushed all the ants and pupae off and crushed all the ones still in the holes they has created.
How do I treat this?
There are 2 identical hives sitting on pressure treated lumber on top of concrete bloack, 2nd hive has no andt problem and actually isn't as strong as the ant infested one. Hives are in a wooded area. Ants appearing to be chewing the inside of the boxes and creating a sawdust mound on the top cover for something. Guess it mustbe nice and warm on that top cover in that they can just lay the pupae out with no covering.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had the same problem inside the deep box covering my mason jar feeder. I sprinkled some cinammon on the inner cover as recommended here on the forums and it took care of the problem.

Good luck
Blueline

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
yes sprinkle Ground Cinnamin from a jar or container all over the inner cover. Sounds odd but it works! Some ppl also use peppermint leaves on top of the inner cover as well but i havent tried that yet!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts