Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed two packages back in March when the weather was cold and windy. Since the top bars weren't sealed with propolis, I put down newspapers over the bars to help keep drafts out until the bees could seal things up. March and April were cold and windy so the newspapers stayed there five or six weeks. When I took the paper up there was an ant colony in the top of one hive between the pages of the newspaper complete with eggs and everything. They had the perfect world. The heat from the bees were keeping them warm and all they had to do was slip between the top bars for food. They were quickly evicted. Which brings me to my question. I've read that ants don't like coffee so I was thinking about saturating the ground around the hives with coffee grounds (I can get a ton of them from work). I was wondering if anyone had ever tried this?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Each Spring I have problems with ants. Like Michael said, if they are causing a problem to your hives and the work the bees are doing then be concerned. I just deal with it and leave them alone. They start out sort of heavy but as it gets closer to summer, they usually leave my hives alone. I have tried the following and didn't see much for results: cinnamon on the inner and around the ground around the hive, cinnamon sticks on the inner and outside, and I tried the coffee grounds trick. Finally, I decided to sprinkle ant killing granules on the ground around the hive. it didn't seem to affect my bees but the ants did seem to slow down. The ants that I had were the kind that build mounds in the dirt to live in, so I also dug their home out of the ground and chucked their home in the river. That worked great. juzzer

·
Registered
244 Posts
. Finally, I decided to sprinkle ant killing granules on the ground around the hive. it didn't seem to affect my bees but the ants did seem to slow down.
I've done the same -- borax tabs in toilet paper tubes at the base of the legs when the carpenter ants were moving in. They were pretty much gone the next day, and now if I see one, I don't do anything unless they appear to be in the hive itself. I had a second ant incident with fire ants -- I HATE fire ants. For them, I used Amdro, not too much, right near the mouth of the mounds. A neighbor who keeps bees will not even use Amdro...I'm curious about that -- do bees forage on the ground? It seemed unlikely that they would pick up the grains. In any case, the ants are gone and the bees are fine. For myself, I would only use Amdro, though -- I wouldn't use a product that needs watering in for fear the bees would be interested in the water (I also think Amdro works better).

·
Registered
31 Posts
I put my hives on 2, 4" SCHL 40 PVC pipes, about 3ft off the ground. I keep the PVC clean with just water and I have not seen anything that can cling to it to climb up. We do have those ants that fly once a year but, im not sure when. I had a problem last year with roaches and ants. After putting my one good hive from last year and the another hive that I installed a 3lb package in this year, on the PVC pipes, I have not had any trouble with pests.........yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts