Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Great forum!

Another newbie here, live in western PA near Butler. My Christmas present this year was a beginner kit from Brushy Mtn. I've already added to it (a gift to myself) and now have enough equipment to start 2 hives with extra supers.

I'd really like to hear from anyone in western PA or eastern OH as to where you buy your bees or what clubs/resources are available nearby. I've sent emails to the associations on the PA State Beekeepers website, but have not heard anything back (maybe a slow time for the clubs?). I plan on driving to Spencer, OH in the Spring to pick up some package bees unless there is a closer place that has Carnolian or Russian bees.

I've been reading a lot of books mentioned here, watching a lot of youtube vids, browsing this forum (95% of the questions I had were answered here).... Also found a free online class at Penn State, plan on attending that also. Pa State Beekeepers has a link to it. Free is almost always a good thing :)

Looking forward to the Spring!
Larry

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Welcome Larry
There is antoher beesource guy close to you in Worthington "Powernapper" but you gota kinda watch him he will go to sleep on you :eek:

·
Vendor
341 Posts
We list a resource on our site that is right near us. It will save you about a 3-hour round trip drive to Spencer and at least $10 per package.

I think Jerry only charges $65 for a 3# package. I think he's bringing in 600+. He sells out every year. Order now. The bees have a very good reputation. They are not trucked all the way from California, stressed like what you may find elsewhere.

P.S. We'll see you at the Western PA Beekeepers meeting in February!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome Larry
There is antoher beesource guy close to you in Worthington "Powernapper" but you gota kinda watch him he will go to sleep on you :eek:

Thanks honeyman46408, Worthington is very close... I'll try a PM later today.

We list a resource on our site that is right near us. It will save you about a 3-hour round trip drive to Spencer and at least $10 per package.

I think Jerry only charges $65 for a 3# package. I think he's bringing in 600+. He sells out every year. Order now. The bees have a very good reputation. They are not trucked all the way from California, stressed like what you may find elsewhere.

P.S. We'll see you at the Western PA Beekeepers meeting in February!
Blueskybeesupply, I did see your website but didn't see any info other than a phone number for your supplier (I googled his name looking for a web site). Does he have Carnolian or Russian? I may be away the 2nd week in April, and was hoping to pick up late April/early May. I certainly do like the idea of a shorter drive!

Larry

·
Vendor
341 Posts
Jerry's bees come from a commercial beekeeper who raises bees in the Carolinas. He picks them up at midnight and has them back in the morning, ready to go. They are probably primarily Italians, but they are survivor stock and good honey producers.

I like Carnolians for our climate myself. I don't recommend Russians when first starting off though. When we have sold packages to new beekeepers, they have been Italians, New World Carnolians and Minnesota Hygienic.

It's often hard to find specialty queens in packages; you can always requeen later. Hope this helps. No matter what, you are going to learn a lot and the bees will take care of themselves, with your help.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Hello and Welcome!

I'm sure you'll find this site to be a great place to learn more about bees & beekeeping. I use the 'search' function a lot: many times the answers to my questions have been discussed in previous threads. Be sure to check out the subforum "How to Start Beekeeping" - lots of good info there.

Here's the contact info for local bee clubs in PA:
http://www.pastatebeekeepers.org/Reports/Map/Contacts and Inspectors.htm

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi--I am in NW PA, up near Erie. New beek as well, have a hive and a bee outfit (new for xmas from hubby)--haven't done anything with bees yet. I think the local club here orders them as a group, but not sure, so I will be interested to see where you get yours.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts