Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my neighbor lady came over and advised me of a swarm about a block away.......So I loaded up and got them.......then found a bee tree with the entrance about 20ft up.........home owner said that they were not even aware they were up there and neither was I........he stated that they were ok and that next time they swarmed he would call me...........that makes 3 so far this year......so if a swarm in May is worht a load of hay...........what is a swarm in April worth?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL........it was about 4 pounds worth so that would be about 65 bucks right plus shipping so all told about 85-90 bucks.........not bad for 10 minutes worth of work........so now that they are on nothing but 4.9mm let my expirement begin.......I will not be using any mite treatment on them or my observation hive swarm unless it is on the verge of collapse.........question is i want to requeen them but will a queen from a LC bee producer be alright in a 4.9mm only hive?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Flewster

Just curious; since they're apparently real strong (=big bunch of bees) and already regressed to 4.9 why would you want to re-queen them?

Lew

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I could breed from her........I am hoping for some more swarms......And today I sold this swarm to the VP of the company I work for.....see he came from TX and could not bring his hive with him due to Africanized bee quarantine and when he found out I was a beekeeper he asked if I had some bees so I offered these for 50 bucks and he said great.......so Michael after all when you said 50 bucks you were right on the money.......LOl

·
Registered
523 Posts
Maybe he'll let you get a frame of eggs/young brood? Combine with some other bees & raise a queen or 2. From what I've read here I'd really like to experiment with some feral queens! No experience yet (except for the one mean feral hive which may have gotten mean from becoming queenless) I have no experience......... yet!

Lew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts