Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in NW Ohio and so far we have had an unusial spring so far!! Nice and warm then cold, everthing seems to be in bud (too early for my liking). Anyway; I have one hive that is busting at the seams!!! swarm cells and a lot of them with on a frame full of brood. My proplem/question is that the temps. are now going to the 30's at night. split or not :s. Also; I have a trap-out to do, same problem-cold nights now! I can do a split and/or use frames for the trap-out in a NUC. I just do not know what temps. the bees can handle :scratch::s
O, another hive that made it throught the winter, should have the brood chamber opened up. same question - temp????

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
if you are sure they are swarm cells and not supercedure cells make up a small nuc with 4-5 frames and your queen and move it 30 ft away. if you dont have a nuc box a regular brood box with a board or close fitting piece of cardboard will work(to make it a 5 frame box). that MAY fool them into thinking they have swarmed.sometimes they swarm no matter what. good luck,mike

·
Registered
203 Posts
You can do an even split in the day when it's warm. Just keep everything together in the middle of the box.Brood in the middle and honey on the sides,beside the brood. It's best to put both in new hives,that way the bees will stay in the hive you put them in and woun't go back to the old hive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts