Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a recap :
March 28 - I did a split into a 10 frame deep with about 4 frames front and back of eggs to capped brood, and all the bees that were on the frames.
April 7 - added new queen but she dissappeared
April 18 - second queen was released and alive
April 21 - with just a quick peek I saw some eggs, and the queen so I assume she is laying and doing ok

Since then :
April 26 added three frames of capped brood from another hive

Today I took a peek, cuz this hive is killing me. Some of the brood that I added is hatching, its kinda funny cuz they are really yellow and the origional bees are very dark.

Anyway I found the queen and she is laying ok I guess, but at least 50% of the capped brood from her is drone brood. It seems kinda spotty, not horribly spotty, but can anyone tell me why there is so much drone brood? Is there so much drone brood and the spottyness just cuz she is a young queen? Will she get better? Or should I requeen again?

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Scotty, The difference between drones and workers is that the eggs drones come from are unfertilized. (They have grandfathers but no fathers) It is likely your queen is poorly mated and you would likely be superceded. I would not wait to replace her as that much drone brood will create numerous problems to include poor production, increased mite populations, and unlikely wintering capablity. Every day you don't have a good queen sets your back. Adivse your package supplier 1st. ,they may provide you a new queen for free. If not, go to another supplier and order one. Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts